jerrycoin

Gateway Arch, St. Louis!

Discussion created by jerrycoin on Apr 8, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 by madmax

Not far from The Marriott Union Station is the tallest National Monument in The United States!  At 630 feet high, you could put the Washington Monument underneath it!  If ever destroyed, it could never be rebuilt (Supposedly OSHA rules?).  You will want to make a day of it!  There is something for all in the family.  Here are some tips if you are going thru St. Louis and have some extra time on your hands:

Located by the Mississippi River where I-64, I-70 and I-55 meet, you don't have to go out of the way to find good garage parking.  I recommend the Arch Garage for safety and closeness to The Arch.

Upon arriving, get your tickets first!  You may have a wait of hours to get to the top, so get your tickets, and then see the Museum, the grounds or enjoy a picnic.

The ride to the top is cramped, so if you don't like "Tight fits" think twice about going up.

There are many other things to enjoy on your visit to The Arch Grounds.  You have the "Old Courthouse" (Where the D. Scott case was tried), along with The Landing, famous for night life.  The Cardinal Stadium as well as Blues and Rams stadiums are within walking distance.

Here are a few pictures of the area;

IMG_2129.JPG

This is the view from near the parking lot!

IMG_2130.JPG

Here's where you get your tickets, note you will have to go thru "Airport security", so be prepared.  Likewise, the screens will let you know when you can ride to the top!

IMG_2131.JPG

The Museum entrance!

IMG_2132.JPG

Tribute to the builders of this "World Wonder"!

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2140.JPG

View looking up from the South leg of The Arch!

IMG_2141.JPG

View from The Arch Grounds, note Eads Bridge, Heli port, and Mississippi River!

Enjoy your trip, and if you have more questions, please let me know!!

Outcomes