anadyr

AMEX charges--a word to the wise

Discussion created by anadyr on Mar 17, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 by anadyr

I've had the American Express Open Business Card since 2003 with nary a problem in that time. I have however set a fraud alert on the card -- a free service -- that emails and calls me if there is suspicious activity on the card. Today that alert was triggered when a ten dollar Internet charge  hit for something at 5 am PDT and a vendor that I did not recognize.  I called as they suggested and spoke to a very sympathetic and caring associate who canceled the card, and will have a new one to me by Monday, UPS next day air.  A great experience with customer service.

Afterwards I checked the vendor who was involved in the ten dollar charge.  Seems that it is part of the wonderful world of rental cars these days--there is a separate company that handles toll charges for rental cars.  In this case an Alamo rental in Florida where toll booths have been eliminated and they take a photo of the car's plates instead.  This apparently was the reason for the charge, some FLA Turnpike Tolls and of course, a service charge!

Bottom line (s):

1. American Express gets high marks for customer service, even thanking me for being a loyal customer,
  2. Rental car charges seem to be never ending. Fine print is everywhere.
  3. And a reminder to always check your statements and have a fraud or large purchase alert on your card.

Outcomes