anadyr

Moving behind the desk for a different perspective on service

Discussion created by anadyr on Feb 12, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 by anadyr

One week a year at minimum wage does not make me an expert but I have noticed during the 10 years in which I have driven a van as a temporary employee of the Pebble Beach Corporation, that being a member of the service and hospitality industry makes for some interesting commentary

First,I should note that I am dealing with individuals on an hourly basis and as a captive audience in my vehicle. It is difficult for them to escape since I am controlling their destiny to and from locations within the Del Monte Forest. The individuals with whom I interact see my service as a driver as something that they have already paid for. Inasmuch as they are members of an elite club within Pebble Beach they feel and rightly so they are owed special treatment by me and other drivers

.But, it seems there are several truths that I can point to that have relevance to other service jobs including that of associates at the Marriott Hotel

There is a sense that the individual getting the service can ask for anything repeat anything if that service seems reasonable to the recipient

There is also a sense of entitlement that comes with membership in an elite club, such as the beach and tennis club (anyone seeing any similarities here to hotel loyalty programs?)  this sense of entitlement translates into a feeling of superiority on the part of the membera nd can lead to more and more requestsfor additional services not specifically mentioned or allowed by the terms and conditions of their membership.

Without casting aspersions on the individuals involved,I noticed that many passengers engaged in a subterfuge to get in the vehicle– –for example the rules state that a passenger must provide a photo identification such as their beach club membership card to use the service and casual questions asked by me suggests they were not members nor did they know a member but that they wanted to avail themselves of a free ride in a very congested area during the golf tournament

Challenging anyone to provide proof of their membership normally resulted in almost righteous indignation on the part of the person I was asking.  it was as if I had asked them to giving their credit card information.  In addition, many of them had only limited information on where they were going and how they were going to get there – – they saw me as a target of opportunity to get them away from the golf venue to some parking space somewhere.

So I guess I can now sympathize with some of the things that an associate at the front desk of the Marriott Hotel or other brand owned by Marriott or impact of hotels, goes through with guests who expect something either get it or don't get it, ask for more, either don't get it or get it, or who feel that they should be recognized for something they may or may not have – – elite status.

Does this excuse the inability of the Corporation to provide basic guarantees for its most venerated and  Elite loyal customers? I think not. But it does give me a different perspective of standing on "the other side of the desk"

Outcomes