profchiara

Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile - NOT magnificent

Discussion created by profchiara on Jan 5, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2012 by jerrycoin

Wow, is it different staying at a Marriott in the US these days than in Europe - this is only my second time in a year in the US and I am NOT happy. I checked into the Chicago Marriott Downtown (Mag. Mile) and except for breakfast this morning it has been a bad experience. Admittedly this was booked through a conference (this is the conference hotel), but I supplied my Platinum Premier rewards number upon booking (and all my preferences on record). I have had no trouble with conference hotels giving me full amenities in the past.

I checked in at the Elite Desk no less, and while I was given my elite access cards to the Concierge Lounge, I was told it is closed on weekends. I pointed out that as a Platinum Premier that I am entitled to some other breakfast compensation, and the woman at the desk simply said, "we don't do that."  Then I got to my room, which instead of a king or queen bad had two full beds. Nice view of city, but not lake, and a small room.

Then I went to the CL for hors d'oeuvres and drinks.  The hors d'oeuvres consisted of three choices: a cooked ham and cheese sandwich, Minnesota rice soup, and some cut up cheese.  Then I asked for a glass of wine, and for the first time in years I had to pay for it -- and dearly $9.97 a glass.  If this is what staying at a full service Marriott is like in the US these days I am glad I stay almost exclusively overseas.

Unfortunately since I have to preside, I have no time to complain personally (esp about the lack of weekend breakfast), but I would give this hotel at best a 1 star rating out of five.

ProfChiara

Outcomes