ssindc

Epiphany: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Discussion created by ssindc on Jan 4, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 by jerryl

Died ... and ... gone ... to ... heaven....

OK, so I scoffed at noise cancelling headphones for years. I dragged my heels.  I ignored advice.  I was close-minded, stubborn, hard-headed and fool-hardy.  My wife bought some (mid-tier) headphones for my boys, and I wouldn't even try 'em.  I didn't want to pay the money.  I didn't want to carry them.  I've been traveling without them for my entire life, why could I possibly need them?  Most of the people on the planes don't have them.  Etc., etc., etc.  I was a skeptic, but I WAS WRONG.

I recently flew to London and back with a (highly educated) friend/colleague (who I find to be a knowledgeable, sophisticated consumer).  He raved about his Bose headphones.  I tried them briefly on the plane.  Impressive.  So, when I returned, I did a lot of Internet research.  I read a lot of reviews.  I tried a number of the competitors in the store.

I finally broke down and bought myself a pair of the Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling HeadphonesI LOVE THEM.  I WISH I'D BOUGHT THEM YEARS AGO.  If you can bite the ($300) bullet, I cannot recommend them enough.  On my recent trip to Bangkok,

• I wore them the entire length of both flights (well in excess of 30+ hours of airtime);
  • I wore them while I slept;
    • I was fortunate to be in Biz class the entire way (and I enjoyed United's rear-facing lie-flat seat).  I normally sleep on my stomach (and turn my head sideways), but the headphones were so pleasant that, instead, I slept on my back, wearing the headphones, and enjoyed some of my best in-flight sleep, ever.
  • I listened to (a fair amount of) classical music.  I often don't bother on the flight, because I don't want to turn it up loud enough so that I can really hear it.  The sound quality was terrific.
  • I  listened to (a fair amount of) one of my audio books.  (I use AUDIBLE - another service that I love!!!)  I often don't bother on the flight, because I don't want to turn it up loud enough so that I can really hear it.  The sound quality was terrific, and I did not have to make it loud to hear.
  • I wore them with (over) and without my favorite travelling baseball hat.
  • OK, I even wore the headphones when I went to the rest room.  I basically never took them off.

Note: the toughest decision is size, I opted for the larger over-the-ear model, and I do not regret it.  In terms of comfort, they never bothered me (at all) during my long trip.

UPDATE:  After years of satisfaction with the Bose over-the-ear QC15, I just took the plunge and bought a pair of QuietComfort® [QC] 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones - that's the Bose in-ear (or ear bud) model.   It's a LOT less to carry (including batteries)!

More information here: Bose® QuietComfort® 20 Headphones | Bose

Basic information on the Bose product here:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

Message was edited by: ssindc

Outcomes