Many MRI members have alluded to point value comparisons between Marriott and Hilton. So, now the question is what are points worth when cashing in on hotel rooms? Part 1 is found here for gift cards and merchandise: Marriott vs Hilton Point Value
The below analysis makes the following assumptions:
- A one week's stay for 07/15/2012 through 07/21/2012 (an attempt to capture "high season" in most geographical locations listed)
- Metropolitan areas were chosen solely based on largest populations, USA & Europe that have BOTH Hilton and Marriott availability
- You have "no idea" what is the best hotel in the metro area, so you rely on Tripadvisor reviews to select your venue (normally, go to MRI and ask for a recommendations; however, to be more "statistically unbiased", I opted simply to accept Tripadvisor ratings as the driver)
- You rely on Tripadvisor's hotel rankings/reviews starting with the highest rated venue for the brand that ===>
- MUST be available on points (venue must have availability) or the venue is omitted from consideration, and
- Has the option of paying cash, and
- Willing to take the lowest priced room type available for points redemption (and its cash equivalent)
- Some prices were in Euros and BPS; conversion to USD as of 10/28/11
- Room rates only - no taxes or additional fees calculated or estimated
RESULTS: It takes 2.64 Hilton points to equate to a Marriott point. 173.03 Hilton points buys $1 of Hilton rooms whereas 65.54 Marriott points buys $1 of Marriott rooms.
Note on rank: in the first line, a -3 appears as Rank before the highest rated Marriott property; this means that three Hilton properties ranked higher than the best Marriott, yielding a corresponding 3 in the Rank column by the Hilton property. In other words, Tripadvisor ranks three Hilton properties ahead of the best Marriott property subject to the conditions specified, above.