ssindc

NYC - Market Pricing

Discussion created by ssindc on Oct 8, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 by ssindc

Curious to hear other's experiences, but I continue to find that the NYC properties have some of the most flexible, market-based pricing anywhere.  If there's a silver lining in all of this, it's that it appears that - at least in pockets - the travel industry is rebounding....

NYC travelers - this has become a content-heavy post - and it has been updated over the years - so, if you're looking for NYC pricing info, it's worth scrolling through...

Also, more recently, you might find this post interesting - Experience New York City’s Times Square – comment on this post and you could earn points NYC - Market Pricing - although there are many, many more helpful, related posts.

But one more (new) thing to keep in mind - as we pick up the Starwood properties, there will be many, many more excellent, new & exciting properties to choose from.

It's a buyer's market, so be an educated consumer!!!!

We tend to go up to NYC (on the train) periodically, and we tend to choose weekends where, for under $200, we can pick among multiple properties within walking distance from Time Square. 

Our favorites - all of which we've stayed in for under $200/night - include:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57
  • New York Marriott Marquis, and the
  • New York Marriott East Side

We have not enjoyed the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue quite as much, and we've never snagged a really good price at the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, so we've never stayed there.

Anyway, so the weekend that my son wants to go to NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $469 (so it'll really be $540+)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $389
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $449
  • New York Marriott East Side - $439
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel - $789 (whoa!!!)

So, I proposed a different weekend - only one week difference, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are very different - some higher, some lower:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - FULL
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $459
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $499
  • New York Marriott East Side - $399
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $749 (lower, but still... whoa!!!)

So, I checked one other weekend - only one week difference in the other direction, and the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are, again, very different:

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $539 (ouch!)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $509
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $599 (yikes!)
  • New York Marriott East Side - $539
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $979 (uh, I don't think so!!!)

Now that I've got started... just for fun - if we wanted to spend New Year's Eve in NYC,

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - FULL
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - FULL
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $549
  • New York Marriott East Side - FULL
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- FULL; and, just for fun
  • Ritz-Carlton, Central Park - $1,749 (before taxes!!!!)

Alas, my son isn't going to get to see that play for a few months - he'll survive.... Who knows, we may have to go Xmas eve.  Would you believe that - in comparison - if you want to spend Xmas Eve in NYC, the rates (pre-taxes) at these hotels are

• Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square - $259 (note - MORE than the Marquis)
  • Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - $233
  • New York Marriott Marquis - $224 (now we're talking!!!)
  • New York Marriott East Side - $279
  • Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel- $589 (nope!!!)

More recently (2017), I've added the Autograph Lexington to the bargains-to-look-for list!!!

The Lexington, New York City

Outcomes