ssindc

NYC Marriott Pulse MVC: Great Value, Pleasant Surprise (and the Hippo Ballerina)

Discussion created by ssindc on Feb 3, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2020 by painedplatinum

Just back from a long weekend with friends (a two-couple, two-room stay) at the NYC Marriott Pulse (adjacent to the SpringHill Suites - which I didn't love, although it's fully satisfactory - review here, with lots of pics - Marriott-Bonvoy Moment: NYC (Madison Square Garden) ... & The Vessel (at Hudson Yards); SpringHill Suites), which is adjacent to the Fairfield Inn (which I haven't tried yet)). Yup - three Marriott properties side-by-side ... kind of an interesting approach.

To the extent one of the few reviews I've found on this property was negative (see here: Who cares?  The worst experience at the Pulse MVC in New York ), I thought I'd weigh in with some perspectives on our (fully satisfactory) stay.  Bottom line: we (and our friends) found the property to be a great value, and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Good location - walkable to everything, including both major train stations, VERY close to the Bryant Park METRO (which is a good stop, access to many trains)... Close enough to Time Square, but not as chaotic.
  • SUPER-DUPER (low price) value: We decided to try it because it was extremely inexpensive, compared to many of the other properties we rely on in NYC.  (OK, we are devastated by the closure/loss of the Renaissance 57, but I digress.)
  • NICE room ... we paid a few extra bucks - seriously, not much ... and booked the best (non-suite) room - king size bed, high floor, nice view, fold-out couch, decent closet, plenty of storage ... VERY comfy - I've stayed in MUCH WORSE (and much smaller) in NYC....  really liked the toiletries .... alas, sorry brightlybob, no robes....
  • SPLENDID roof deck/lounge/bar don't miss it!!!  Unobstructed view up at the Empire State Building - really nice - and comfy - sliding glass canopy (for summer, nicer weather)... we visited/spent time there multiple times - really nice bar menu in the evenings.... also, open all day but no services - still, we brought carry-out lunch up there and it was terrific.
  • Trade-offs: no real "lounge" for high status types (but ... see above) ... no real breakfast benefits ... No ability to upgrade...
    • Free coffee and stuff (donuts, chocolates, etc.) on the ground floor, but ... definitely not comparable to a nice lounge....
    • Free daily walking tours ... although we didn't try 'em....
  • Nice, friendly staff ... at the front desk, upstairs, and throughout the property...
  • Special bonus:WONDERFUL Poke take-out just down the block - PokeWorks rocks - I've eaten there many times!

Also, just down the street is the iconic (and incredibly popular) Hippo Ballerina!!!

Hippo Ballerina

Do I understand the Hippo Ballerina? No, I do not. But, she made me smile every time I walked past!!! (C'mon ... look at those eyes!!! that impish grin!!!)  I am a big fan of urban/public art, and, obviously, the Big Apple offers innumerable interesting examples. Apparently, Cavalier Eubanks manages the 15-foot creation of Bjorn Skaarup, and this is her third placement in NYC (having previously hung out near Lincoln Center and beside the Flatiron building). And, apparently, she was inspired by both Degas' LITTLE DANCER AGED FOURTEEN and Disney's FANTASIA, which makes some amount of sense to me...

Outcomes