mogli

What would you do?

Discussion created by mogli on Feb 2, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2020 by pey

Last week, I stayed at a Courtyard Marriott in Sacramento, California. As a Titanium Elite member this year, I suppose I expect the hotel to value my loyalty. I was not provided a room upgrade on check-in, but they said suites were only available one of the three nights I was there, and I took them at their word for that. The room I was given had a doorway passage connecting it to the neighbor room.

On my third night, I woke up at 4:45 AM to the smell of cigarette smoke. I am quite sensitive to smells, and cigarette smoke is particularly offensive. I placed a towel on the floor along the base of the door, but the smell was still permeating into my room. I called downstairs to inform them, and several minutes later I heard the phone ringing in the adjoining room. That was followed by some bellowing and a comment about "no privacy" from two male voices in the room. Of course, I felt a little uncomfortable about the entire situation at this point.

The smoking did not stop, and perhaps it even got worse. Needless, I did not sleep and had a scratchy throat by the time I checked out of there around 7:30am. On my way out, I stopped at the front desk and told the clerk that the people in the adjoining room were still smoking. With a smile on his face (more of the smart-aleck kind), the clerk said there was nothing he could do. I challenged that, and he said that without direct evidence, it was not possible to do anything due to "private property" concerns or something along those lines. I suggested they go in my room where plenty of smoke aroma would inform them of the facts. He continued to smile coyly at me, and only offered my a coffee or espresso for my troubles. I would have thought the threat to others health and safety would trump other concerns.

So, I am interested in how I should approach this from here. Tracking down and emailing the manager is probably the minimum of what I should do, but how do I even find the right contact information? I will probably write a review on the Marriott site also.

What would you suggest? Am I overreacting?

Thanks!

Outcomes