tomnevers

Not getting upgraded rooms. Gold Elite

Discussion created by tomnevers on Jan 27, 2020
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2020 by lifetimerfrank

I took a new job in September and decided to consolidate all my travel with Marriott and Delta. I quickly hit Gold Elite status with Marriott and should hit Platinum this year, maybe Titanium. 

Until this job, I never had the ability to pick my own hotel so I am very new to hotel points. Please forgive me if this is a silly question. 

My understanding is that as a Gold Elite member, I am offered room upgrades where available. But this year I have stayed for 6 nights so far and didn't get upgraded a single time. My first stay was in London at one of the Autograph collection properties. My second stay was at the Ritz in San Francisco. Both welcomed me and thanked me for my status, but neither offered a room upgrade. 

I'm wondering if the UK hotels and the Ritz don't participate in the upgrades? I definitely want upgraded rooms. It is by far the most important perk. 

I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work and I am always exhausted at check in and forget to inquire. Plus I am rapidly gaining status and I'm not sure exactly what I'm owed at any given point. Appreciate any help here. Should I be asking at check in? Should I avoid certain hotel brands (Ritz)?  

Outcomes