pluto77

Hotel Review - The New York Edition

Discussion created by pluto77 on Jan 5, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2020 by brightlybob

We're staying at The New York Edition.  I recall when the brand first came on board with Marriott, there were only 4 properties at the time, NY, London, Miami and Istanbul.  I was pretty excited about trying one, but instead, and for a long time, stood with my face pressed into the window, looking, looking, looking, never staying.  Now there are 10 Edition properties globally, with many more in the works, and I can finally say I've stayed in one.  Why did it take so long?  Simple.  There aren't that many Editions and they aren't cheap.  And then also, they give no love to Bonvoy status.  Like The Ritz-Carlton, suite upgrades don't come easy, no lounge access (actually, with Edition there are no lounges) and - no complimentary breakfast. 

So let's get to it.  The dates of our weekend visit priced our Edition room at $319/night for a basic queen/king room.  On points however, they were offering off-peak rates, so a cool 50k points (instead of the standard 60k).  We're in (fist bump.)  We of course were hoping for an upgrade (and I wanted a bathtub).  At check-in we inquired about the possibility of an upgrade...  The associate took a look and said the best he could do was offer us a single level upgrade to a Superior corner king room.  When we inquired about a bathtub, we were told that only the loft rooms had tubs, which required a $450 upcharge, but he could knock $100 off of that price.  We declined and accepted the original upgraded room he offered.  

Our room is smallish, about 337sqft.  The bathroom is large, as is the "hallway," which consists of two closets.  We like the views... To the east we can see the East River, and to the south, we have a nice view of the Freedom Tower and off to it's right, the Hudson River.  The décor is minimalist, as in Zen, Fung Shue, but modern.  There is no coffee maker in our luxury brand hotel room.  No water, no welcome amenity.  The bathroom is large, but extremely plain.  The toiletries are nice.

The New York Edition, located at Madison Square Park in the Flatiron District

The signage is very understated.  This is it!

Hotel lobby, front desk to the left, elevator banks and back side of bar straight ahead, lobby lounge/bar to the right.

Deluxe King corner room.  Yes, that fur throw is exactly how we found it upon entering the room.  It's a style point!

The large (yes, we like large), plain (read undecorated) bathroom with the open glass shower.  Water spray on the floor is inevitable (no, we don't like water spray on the floor ).

The  Le Labo toiletries were good.  The conditioner was thick and creamy. 

We did like our view from the 29th floor.  We enjoyed looking at all of the flats and roofs.

Views by night.

There is a $35 destination amenity fee.  It comes with a $35 f&b credit that can be used in the hotel lobby bar.  When we returned from dinner, we considered having a night cap, but the bar was so incredibly loud (and very busy), that we were forced to reconsider.  Since the credit isn't valid on room service, we have plans to use it to purchase coffee in the morning.  Also upon our return, there was an amenity gift that had been delivered.  It included a hand-written letter from the GM, along with a nice presentation of dessert dumplings from a local place in Chinatown.  The dumplings were very good.

This property is located in the Flatiron District, an area that we like.  It's within walking distance to many areas, including Chelsea, Soho, The High Line and The Empire State Building.  Madison Square Park is a nice open space, and Eataly is just across the park from the hotel.  Eataly is an amazing Italian market/restaurant and a must visit.  We walked to Hudson Yard and visited The Vessel, which we thought very cool, and then on to mid-town where we met up with family members and enjoyed some interesting Cuban-Asian fusion at a place called Calle Dao.  It had great ambiance.

Empire State Building from Madison Square Park

The Vessel at Hudson Yard

Our Cuban-Asian Fusion dining establishment (I know, Cuban-Asian?, but it kind of worked).  The charred octopus in Mojo Verde was cooked to perfection.  The Ma-Po Maduros was spicy and delicious.

The New York Edition in summary... We are having a nice stay.  The hotel is located in a nice area and walkable to many attractions/areas.  The R/W (Broadway) subway line is a 2 minute walk from the hotel.  The hotel is modern and sleek, the rooms are attractive and somewhat upscale, but minimal in design and décor, and not really a cut above other luxury brands in the Bonvoy stable.  The staff are very professional as well as nice.  There is a spa and gym.  Per the brand, upgrades are stingy, there is no lounge and no complimentary breakfast amenity.  Turn down service did provide water.  We're glad we tried it, but for our money, will probably stick more to the luxury brands in the Bonvoy stable that offer the complimentary breakfast, executive lounge and are a little more motivated to upgrade.  In other words, as far as the luxury brands go, we feel that if we're going to give up the elite benefits, then the hotel should be worth it in terms of a slightly more elevated experience.  We just didn't feel that the Edition brand quite rose to that occasion, at least not for this particular Edition on this particular stay.

Thanks for reading.

Outcomes