ssindc

Seattle Renaissance, Public Library (WOW), Hiking, Etc.

Discussion created by ssindc on Dec 16, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2020 by pluto77

So, back at the Seattle Renaissance (a property I recommend) ... with my spouse ... and, for her, the first time in Seattle, so we did the whole whirlwind tourist thing.... and ... if you stick with this post, there's a gem of a restaurant recommendation buried towards the bottom....

kharada46 has riffed on this property at length: Review: Renaissance Seattle Hotel - so I'll try not to repeat too much...

Alas, brightlybob, bejacob (and the crew), I won't be back for the TIPPLE event, but this property is definitely worth thinking about...

Where to start? The views from the Renaissance are nice - here the view looking towards the water:

view water

and here's the view looking South - with the benefit of a colorful sunrise

Seattle sunrise

Among other things - in terms of tourism - we we crammed in the entertaining (and amusing and informative) Seattle Underground TourUNDERGROUND TOUR  - ...  a fun ride on the Seattle Great Wheel https://seattlegreatwheel.com/  - a walk thru Pike Place Market, some shopping at the Nordstrom mother ship, and some hiking (more on that below)....

#1 Recommendation:  we (finally) did the Boeing Factory Tour (up North, in Everett) - and, as expected, it's epic - Boeing Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour 30 mi N of Seattle  - I recommend it without hesitation! (Alas, NO CAMERAS, NO MOBILE PHONES, so you just gotta experience it for yourself!!!)

#2 Recommendation - downtown - DO NOT MISS THE SEATTLE PUBLIC LIBRARY!!!  Just around the corner (down the hill) from the Renaissance!!!!  From the outside, it's a multifaceted architectural gem....

library exterior

On the inside, it's one of the most engaging public/learning/gathering spaces imaginable  Ten eye-catching, high utility, heavily populated, and diverse floors sharing an extraordinary (University sized) collection, designed with an eye towards visiting and exploring and relaxing (and, of course, reading and studying and researching and relaxing)....

library

From the (integrated or "hidden") Octopus mural ...

octopus mural

to the observation areas to the yellow escalators and book spirals

look down

... to the cafe and gift store, ...

ground floor

this is not your average, urban public library! Granted, we weren't sure what to make of "the red floor."... but it was ... um ... different.

red floor

It's a must see:

library more

anyway, you get the idea...

entry

And, of course....

there's GREAT HIKING around Seattle.... I'd previously hiked on Cougar Mountain, which is terrific, and this time, We started at Discovery Park, with the loop trail and the lighthouse trail.  This was a diverse (up and down), visually appealing, heavily populated, community/family-oriented place/hike....

lighthouse

Then it was off to walk up the old logging trail at Cedar Falls ... where, imagine that, we saw some waterfalls ....

cedar falls

Then, just as the sun was setting, we stopped for a glimpse of the powerful, impressive Snowqualmie Falls - it was really fascinating in the mostly-dark-and-fog...

sq falls

Looking for a really good restaurant?  (Thinking of you, kharada46 ...) 

• We were really impressed with Blu Sardinia in RedmondBlu Sardinia  - pricey, but worth it (particularly if you care about the wine list/cellar).
  • We also met friends for drinks at Ascendhttps://ascendprime.com/  - in Bellveue (but we didn't eat there) - it was really cool, terrific view, super trendy/popular/happening (although it appears to be on the higher/highest end of the price range)...

Other thoughts on the Renaissance:

• Great location;
  • I really like those two-room kind suites with lots of nice views (see above);
    • if you like window seats, this place is tough to beat!
    • there were some maintenance issues in our room - a couple doors/panels weren't fully connected - but it wasn't disruptive;
    • our biggest gripe was the ASTONISHINGLY loud air handling system in the ceiling, which woke both of us up repeatedly night after night ... it was stunning how low and irritating it was ... yuck ... I don't remember that being a problem in my prior stays in that property.
  • The concierge lounge (on the top floor) is very attractive and nicely staffed;
    • It's closed on the weekend - but we received full breakfast buffet coupons in the Fig and the Judge restaurant, so it was tough to complain;
  • We ate a fun mid-day snack/meal in the cafe area, and we really enjoyed it...
  • Parking is pricey, but sufficiently convenient...

Overall, a fun trip...

Outcomes