AnsweredAssumed Answered

Marriott changing cash due on award reservation after confirmed booking??

Question asked by dzimmnj on Nov 18, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 19, 2019 by verysuiteboy

On Oct 31st, I booked an award stay at the Equinox (Manchester, Vt) for 3 nights at the end of February 2020. I have an email from Marriott confirming a rate of 160,000 points + resorts fees/valet parking/etc of $224 for the entire 3 days.

Low and behold, I log onto to Marriott account today and the same reservation is now showing 160,000 points + $881.10 for the entire stay. How can Marriott just arbitrarily change the cash due on an award booking???

Separately, the room is actually bookable for a total of $1,064 cash rate without points. I know (and accept) that I was taking a low value/point of $0.005 on the reservation, but with Marriotts random adding of $640 to the bill, they think providing $0.001 value/point is actually acceptable. 

Anyone have any experience with Marriott doing this to them? Any insight into getting Marriott to honor the rate booked?

Web chat was absolutely useless with the following responses:

Helen A (11/18/2019, 12:37:38 PM): Thank you Mr XXXXXXXX and thank you for being a Titanium Elite member! The amount of points that it will take for a stay is based upon availability at the hotel for the dates that you are looking to stay. In peak times, the amount of points that are needed for the stay could be higher than off peak times and could be different day to day. Until your points are pulled out of your account for the reservation, the amount of points are subject to change. Is there any other questions that I can assist with this morning? 

After some back and forth, letting the person know that the points were indeed pulled out of my account, this is what she left me with:

Helen A (11/18/2019, 12:43:59 PM): I do not have any other tools to assist you with this.  I recommend that you call the Customer Engagement Center at 1-888-236-2427 for further assistance. 

thanks for any insight!!

Outcomes