houstonfoodandwine

JW Marriott Houston Downtown: A Celebration of 5 Years

Discussion created by houstonfoodandwine on Nov 15, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 22, 2019 by pluto77

Good Morning Insiders,

Last night I was fortunate enough to attend the 5-year anniversary celebration for our very own JW Marriott Houston Downtown. Through regular dining at Main Kitchen, as well as through social media, I've developed a friendship with both the Beverage Director, Robert Albright, and the Executive Chef, Josh Mouzakes - it was through these relationships I was able to secure an invitation to this invite-only celebration. Below are some photos I wanted to share with you all, but before doing so I'd like to offer a brief word about the party's theme: a tribute to the senses. The JW team did a masterful job at turning the entire Monet Ballroom into a multi-sensory lab where a host of food and art stations were set up, each one designed to stimulate a different sense. From live painting, to an oxygen bar, to an edible "paint" station, to a sushi table that allowed folks to reach behind a curtain, manually manipulate certain ingredients, then pull out what they felt and eat it. All of this was done very well and was a real fun way to enjoy an otherwise classy and elegant experience. My favorite exhibitions, if you will, were the two passed hors d'oeuvres plates. One plate was designed as if it were a tree branch, replete with twigs, birds, and all - this plate had a hidden speaker that played the sounds of the forest. The light bites served on this plate were quail balls. The second plate of hors d'oeuvres was created to look like the ocean which, like the Forest Plate, played sounds of the breaking waves. This plate served shrimp cocktail. Hope you enjoy the photos! 

Local artist "Gonzo247" doing a live painting

Bites of quail

Patron Anejo laced in cherry wood smoke

Stoli + Tonic

Assorted sushi

My plate of sushi

My wife's plate of sushi

Sushi cones

Oxygen bar

Edible "paint" - each paint being a dipping sauce for various light bites

The 5-year cake

Dessert tree