lonnalinda

New York City - destination fee AND member status

Discussion created by lonnalinda on Oct 27, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 28, 2019 by techie

Just got back from my stay at the Sheraton Times Square NYC.  Thanks for the replies to my original questions prior to my stay.

Here's a summary:

Destination Fees - seems as though this charge varied by Marriott property. That said, many hotels in NYC seem to do it.   Husband had a work conference so when I booked I had to (1) find a place under $400/night and (2) walking distance to his conference.  The Sheraton met the criteria (just barely due to the destination fee of $25/night).  Had to really push my husband to ask his employer to stay at Sheraton as they have a lower rate negotiated with another hotel down the street.  But approved.

Destination fees - $25/night.  You get charged however they will "credit" you $30 a night in food or beverage.  You can combine charge; we stayed 3 nights so had $90 credit which we could use all together or broken up.  You charge food/beverage to your room.  Decided to use it for evening cocktails; at $18 a cocktail the money goes fast.  Note that every place I went and had a cocktail it was anywhere from $16-$18 so Marriott is within the range of charge.  A nice touch was we had cocktails in the Club Lounge where they serve food (cheese, crackers and a hot dish) so it was a good "happy hour" spend.  We overspent our budget by $5.00 which was just fine.

Marriott status benefit:  As mentioned, husband is a "regular" Marriott member and currently I am titanium.  As he had to pay with his corporate credit card, clearly the reservation had to be made under his name and number.  I was bummed because I love the benefits I receive when we stay at Marriott property.  So at check in I mentioned to the front desk on how I had to really push for my husband's company to allow our stay at a Marriott and that I would be happy at ANY benefit that my status would receive.  I was not expecting all titanium benefits; really wanted the late check out as I didn't want to pay for the luggage storage fee the day we were checking out.  WOW!  After hearing and verifying my status I received (1) room upgrade (2) late check out and (3) club lounge access.  So incredibly wonderful of the front desk.  I was the only one who "needed" breakfast as husband had his provided by conference.  Really nice I could enjoy a quick breakfast every morning.  And even better to enjoy our "destination fee cocktails" in the lounge with cheese and crackers.

I have to say the Sheraton was very nice place to stay - yes, some issues day 1 with housekeeping and the bathroom could use a deep cleaning and paint touch up but the best thing was the employees I encountered on a daily basis.  They all went out of their way to answer my questions, ask me how my day is going, etc... 

I have written a trip advisor review and I personally sent the general manager a thank you note for taking such good care of us.  Husband has another trip in December (doubtful I will be going) and I am hopeful that he can return to the Sheraton.  He won't get my benefits but like I said food is provided by his conference, he won't need late check out and  he'll just have to spend destination fee on beverages.  

Outcomes