gatorlitigator

Longest Award Stay?

Discussion created by gatorlitigator on Oct 23, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2019 by globaltreker

My family and I just returned to the U.S. after spending about a year and a half in Belgium while I did some legal work over there.  I will be working in northern Virginia and for about the first week, we stayed at the Mayflower up in Washington, D.C. as we looked at housing options and because I thought it would be nice to be able to walk to the National Mall for the Independence Day festivities.  We then moved over to the Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks and, while we were there, we found a house.  Unfortunately, we found out that it would be about 45 days till we could move in.  With three children, a pregnant wife and myself, we had been using two connecting rooms and I could see the cost going through the roof for such a long period in hotels whether using cash or points.  I will be working in the Alexandria area, and most all the hotels there are at least category 3-4 if not much higher.  Then I found a grouping of three hotels, a Courtyard, a Springhill, and a Residence Inn down in Woodbridge that were all category 2.  I made a 5 night reservation for 50,000 points (w/ fifth night free) at the Residence Inn in a 1 Bedroom Suite with hopes that I could upgrade somehow at check-in to a 2 Bedroom even if there was a modest cost as that would mean we only needed one room.  To our surprise, the clerk upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite for no charge.

I spoke to the manager, and she was incredibly kind to offer to extend the upgrade, even if we extended our stay by a lengthy period.

End result was that we stayed for 45 nights in a 2 Bedroom/2 Bathroom suite for 450,000 points.  Cash rates for that room were about $240 per night when you factor in taxes.  They even comped parking for both our cars even though it was advertised as being $10 per night per car.

Recently, there was a thread on here where we all weighed in on how many points we like to keep in the "bank" and many Insiders recommended earning and burning as quick as possible to avoid potential devaluing.  While I wouldn't suggest they are wrong, and, honestly, I see the wisdom in their perspective dependent on your situation, I hope that this scenario will at least cause some folks to think about the potential benefits of having some points socked away for a rainy day.

Although I had one cash stay for work that was twice as long as this 45-night period, I think that prior to this stay, the longest I ever stayed in one hotel on points was 5-7 nights.

I'm curious what is the longest Award Stay that other Insiders have had.

Outcomes