My better half is probably going down to the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando FL next April and asked me to look into properties, ideally Marriott.
While the conference has deals with hotels, some properties have better deals with AAA rates. Prices range from $122 to almost $400 (plus taxes).
I might tag along and, in that case, we'll visit some theme parks nearby and won't be shy to change properties. I know there are already tons of reviews for those hotels (many thanks to Bbob for several of them ). However, I can't find much about the properties around the OCCC. Since the conference will be running hotel shuttles, we'd like to focus on these properties:
- Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection (only one with a reviews here, which seem to vary a lot. Also not the cheapest property at US$199 minimum.)
- Courtyard Orlando International Drive/Convention Center (expensive for nothing starting at the $199 group rate, especially without breakfast benefits)
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando at SeaWorld, good AAA rate: $163
- Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld, one of the priciest ones ($249 group rate, $259 AAA), only breakfast if linked to my elite account
- Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, $197 AAA, $198 group rate
- Residence Inn Orlando at SeaWorld, great rate at $140 with AAA
- Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area, good rate: $155 with AAA
- Springhill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld, $172 AAA or $169 group rate
- Four Points by Sheraton Orlando Convention Center, although not an "official conference hotel", it's at walking distance and definitely the least expensive property at $127. However, hugging the freeway. No free breakfast.
- TownePlace Suites [..] at SeaWorld, although not an "official conference hotel", it's next to a Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites that will have the shuttle service. $161 AAA rate.
Any experiences with any of these hotel properties among our Insiders?
- a sub-180$ property (her employer is a public institution, so can't go crazy) to start things off, but many will fit in.
- Ideally with free breakfast, especially if I end up not coming along (and even if I do: not sure the properties will give us all the bennies if the folio has to be in her name for reimbursement reasons). Also, there might be 1 or 2 other colleagues coming along that will likely want breakfast too.
- Ideally a property that can beat the corporate group rate with the AAA rate. Since the conference has their own booking portal, not sure if Marriott Rewards can be applied to anything (including simply getting points and EQNs).
- Bonus points if it's easy for me to visit fun stuff during the conference days (free shuttles?)
And to make this more interesting for future references, I also came across this topic from 2010 about the area around the OCCC: Neighborhoods | International Drive Orlando It looks like there are many nice dining options in the immediate area.