bejacob

Hotel Review: Gaylord Rockies

Discussion created by bejacob on Oct 16, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2019 by betterdays

The newest Gaylord property opened in December 2018. Located near Denver International Airport, the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center is a nice addition to the Gaylord hotel brand. It feels smaller than both the Gaylord Texan and Gaylord Palms though still manages to duplicate many of the features that make those places popular. 

Like all Gaylord properties, there is a resort fee (currently $23) which includes

• high speed internet
  • two bottles of water per day
  • shuttle service to the RTD A line (rail) station, one stop from the airport
  • morning yoga
  • plus a bunch of other stuff that you'd get at any resort (pool/fitness center access)

For Bonvoy elites it doesn't add much value. Like every other Marriott property, it would be better to raise the room rate by $23 and just include all this stuff. One nice perk I experienced on my stay was that the $29 self parking fee was waived due to my Titanium status. I don't know whether that is standard practice, but it was a pleasant surprise none the less. 

In the lobby, off to the left as you enter, there is a model of the property. Here is a view looking at the Grand Lodge. Unlike most of the other Gaylord locations, there is not a grand atrium with rooms overlooking the area. The Grand Lodge is smaller but still incorporates many of the signature Gaylord features. More on that later.

The lobby would be familiar to anyone who has visited a Gaylord location or some of the JW Marriott resorts in the western US. As you enter the building, the Grand Lodge is straight ahead, while the front desk is just to the right. From this perspective (left of the entry doors) the Grand Lodge is visible to the left.

From the lobby, here's a view of the Grand Lodge.

All of the resort restaurants are just off the Grand Lodge. Like other Gaylord locations, there is a Hickory Steakhouse, Italian and Asian restaurants, a lobby bar, and a sports bar featuring a 75 foot television wall. The Grand Lodge evokes a western theme and includes a ski village, a waterfall, and an actual Santa Fe railroad caboose.

One cool feature is how the "Make a Green Choice" program works. You can choose to earn 500 of designate that a tree be planted by the Arbor Day Foundation. The sign is even reminiscent of those marking the boundaries of US National Forests. 

The indoor pool is huge and includes a couple of water slides. There is another pool outside which include a lazy river. 

The Gaylord Rockies has around 1,500 rooms, including over 100 suites. I would imagine Bonvoy elites, especially Titanium and Ambassador members might have a decent shot at being upgraded here. I was.  For my stay, I used the 75-night Annual Choice Award free night certificate (up to 40k). 

There are no shortage of Marriott properties near the Denver airport. There are, however, only a handful of Gaylord properties. If your travels take you to Denver, it might be worthwhile to add this hotel to your plans.

Outcomes