placestoseeandgo

Heads Up on ATM Withdrawals

Discussion created by placestoseeandgo on Sep 27, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 4, 2019 by martinr

I know we have had discussion about whether to exchange dollars for Euros at banks in the U.S, or overseas at exchange Kiosk.  I have always been an advocate of using an ATM upon arrival in Europe and just getting cash over there. Up till recently, excluding ATM fee charged by the bank, you always got the best exchange rate. Well, t think things have change.  Now, I did get Euros using my bank's ATM card in Portugal and unfortunately, found out that tthey were adding a fee on the exchange rate and I would been no worse off if I use one of the exchange providers at the airport. I guess, what I am saying is that there is no advantage anymore and that we should look for other solutions to get the best value. Now, this only happened in Portugal, but I suspect it is probably similar in other European countries. Other than cash needed for taxis, Uber or a tour, other my purchases were done with Credit Card and that is still getting the best exchange rate and my Marriott card has no foreign transaction fees.    

Outcomes