Help me decide which cards to keep, cancel, or upgrade

Discussion created by 7 on Sep 5, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 by 7

I am probably a little over the top when it comes to Marriott branded cards. I currently have:

The old personal Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus which I never upgraded because I tend to barely hang on to my platinum status due to the extra elite qualifying night per $3,000 spend.

The now discontinued personal AmEx Marriott Bonvoy card

The AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card

I've already achieved lifetime gold and will probably hit LT platinum in the next year or two so I probably don't need the extra EQN/$3,000 with the Chase card going forward and could either upgrade or cancel it. I think if I upgrade it I get 2 free Cat 5 nights so it's probably worthwhile to go ahead and upgrade and then I can always cancel it next year?

Is there any reason at all to keep the discontinued AmEx card? I just received the new card design and when I was confirming receipt online it appears not to even have my correct Bonvoy Rewards tied to it. I don't know if it still some old SPG number or converted into something else or what. If I have to call to straighten all that out then I kind of feel like I should just go ahead and cancel it.

AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card will probably be my primary card for Marriott stays now since the points rewarded are pretty much equal across cards and it includes that $100 credit for 2-night stays at Ritz or St. Regis.

Outcomes