lamonade

2019 Labor Day Weekend Hotels Reviews

Discussion created by lamonade on Aug 28, 2019

US Open always goes on so I'll still spend my Labor Day at NYC.

1. As Dorian approaches, my flight was also affected. But my wonderful airlines is very proactive (guess who?) and have me the chance to arrive at the big apple one more night earlier. I seized the Sheraton Tribeca late afternoon with a $107 BAR. Arrived just before 1am and found seven people before me to check in. Though not intended but overheard that the line was composed of two Gold, two Platinum, and three Titanium...Great job Bonvoy! (Poor onduty front desk gentleman, I just heard that he introduced the 24hr Club on 21st floor again and again and again.) The hotel has done a major renovation, amid which the lobby was redesigned. Also shower room is more nice and neat. Yet it's still an old school taste in the bedroom, though. Overall the property is of excellent value and good location if you are to conduct business in lower Manhattan.
  2. New York Marriott Downtown haven't been back after it's renovation (2013?), also long time no stay at downtown, so would like to pay a visit. Suite upgrade voucher could not be applied as they claimed to be sold out on the Friday night. I arrived on 8am and a world trade center view room is ready for me. The front desk lady was very nice and had a warm notice to let me take the last spoon of hot breakfast in the lounge . This renovation is the hallmark "REDESIGNED MARRIOTT" with plenty of charing ports spread and black-and-white style furniture is a smart choice to keep it timeless. Also found the recently rolled out "this works" bathroom amenity. Not a big fan to Thann but this doen't work to me either . But change is always welcomed. One minus: no free bottled water in room, supposing members could grab it from lounge but it's closed right after Friady breakfast! Also the destination fee is now $25 ($25 F&B including on-site Starbucks, Bill's; $10 laundry; one bus tour pass or one gym pass). I guess not many like the destination fee right...
  3. Moxy NYC Times Square is designed by the (in)famous Yabu Pushelberg. Looks much better than his Westernized Oriental style practiced in some Park Hyatts (New York, Hangzhou, Shenzhen), Rosewood (Guangzhou), and so on. constrained on luxurious thresholds. It's also my first time in the brand created jointly by IKEA and Marriott, yet Moxy Chelsea shall smell too new, thus get a redemption here. (35,000 points or $399 for the Saturday, which is normal for NYC but still an insane inflation) The public space is portaited very inviting, yet I'll leave some question marks on the bathroom design (very European, though). Applied a suite upgrade voucher but could not be confirmed (yeah I'm overstocked with vouchers but it seems like they would not work at the sharp time). The property just called me one day ahead of my arrival to confirm a upgrade that would change my bed types, very good practice of bed type gurantee SOP. Also in my inbox I found the hotel send out the cancellation fee waiver were Dorian bothering the trip, which is a very nice and considerate gesture. PROACTIVE! Though prepared, but was still shocked by the tiny size of the room. MUK bathroom amenity smells milky but works well. No closet but multiple hangers along the wall. Yet there is one huge minus for the hotel: the rooftop bar Magic Hour is the largest of its kind (it's all season outdoor/indoor bar) intown, and the long line could suggest a lot. Stayed at floor 11 but bothered by the bar for the first half of the night. The property is of interesting experiments for young people hotel stay but I ought not to go back to skip the night noise.
  4. Le Méridien New York, Central Park was just rebranded from a Viceroy hotel just back-to-back to the original Le Parker Méridien (now an Hyatt property). According to hospitalitynet, renovations of guest rooms are undergoing and shall be done by the end of 2020, but I'll be there to restock my favourite Malin+Goetz shampoos anyway. Booked a Central Park view suite as a terrific deal. P.S.:The hotel's 2.4/5 rating on Marriott website brings wsm78's as well as my attention. Yeah, the hotel is definitely weird in program service: as a LM it only provided $10 voucher per person or points as the on-site restaurant Kingside is owned by the thrid party (a dining group), and this is the first ever hotel that my enhanced Wi-Fi was charged a fee but not get waived automatically (found that item on foilio sent overnight to my email, and got up like ???), also as for the suite, larger tubes of bathroom amenity are not provided (usually 40ml size in suite and 30ml size in room, for LM). Now that the hotel outsources F&B, no special éclair, no eye-openers, no more in NYC! These are the downsides of this newly-joined property. There'are a bunch of the upsides as well thanks to Viceroy's interior design, which is timeless (or need not to be updated for more than 20 years). There are certain details need some renovation but the sense of the design won't take you back into 80s, for sure. The rooftop bar (a extremly popular one) is just one floor up to my room but I slept in quiet ambiance. Though no bathtub in the bathroom, but ensuited walk-in closet is terrific. There is a certain surprise (on the wall) in the shower room for suite I am delighted with, but I'll leave it for you guys find out. The housekeeping comes swift and friendly. I could understand the 2.4/5 rating,  but the service/outdated facility should not be the point attacked but rather the member recognition and program integration. 
  5. Renaissance New York Midtown opened in Spring 2016, and seems to deliver very stable service. Suites are sold out as well for this Monday (Labor Day) night... Got the skyline view room with SNA, marvelous Penn station , greenwich village, Statue of liberty View, and more one the line along SXSW direction. In the club lounge you could find Coca Cola products, Chobani yogurts, local juices selections as well as  San Pellegrino's fruity sodas. That's very unusal for a Renaissance hotel, I love it. Close to Penn station and Hudson Yards is another merit.

I hope this sharing helps you.

Outcomes