jurgenlison

2019 Hotel Review Marriott Resort Puerto Vallarta Mexico

Discussion created by jurgenlison on Jul 28, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2019 by bacon14

This is a review from our stay in July 2019 and as such an update to the great 2016 review by iahflyr (2016 Review / Discussion). The resorts renovation is now almost complete - the upgraded infinity pool opened on 7/15 - the only ongoing construction is a two story pool-bar which was being build while we were there. Pictures are at the bottom of the post - scroll down.

We stayed 5 nights, using Marriott's fantastic $75/day resort credit deal - which made it a no brainer to pay for our stay instead of using points. I'm a Titanium member, and we received the following benefits:

• Upgraded room - without asking. We booked a double with garden view, and we received room 5043 which is a nice ocean view double, high floor as per my posted preferences. A very nice start !
  • Free daily Platinum breakfast for two - a good continental buffet, or the equivalent at the pool-side restaurant. Paid upgrade available to the full buffet. No issues using this at all - only one of the five mornings were we charged for our cappuccinos during breakfast - the other days they were considered part of the Platinum breakfast.
  • Multiple times our server thanked us for being an elite member, so they clearly have access to the records and are using it. One time (poolside) we were offered a round of drinks "on the house" while we were having lunch. A very nice touch adding to the overall great service. 

The location...

• The property is very easy to get to from the airport - you should get a taxi. We rented a car and spend (as always in Mexico) a lot of time getting the contract done and the car checked out. The main Hertz facility is less than 3km/2 miles from the hotel, so you can walk there when you want to get a rental car during your stay (hotel offers free and convenient parking)
  • Just across the street are the Marina shops - plenty of smaller restaurants and bars, massage services, small grocery store, ... and a Starbucks in walking distance. So pretty easy to leave the hotel if you like, and explore other options. And before someone asks: very safe. I went running in the morning both street side and beach side, no issues at all.
  • Very nice hotel beach and pool. Separate kids area (but kids are obviously allowed in the large pool - except the spa). Local vendors do bother you on the beach, but not at the pool.

The best part: the people and the service

• Overall great and attentive service. Not too pushy, but always available. Friendly and professional. Like the balloon making clown came over to us to hand over a specialty balloon instead of us having to ask or line up. I feel the need to call out a few people who went even beyond... go find them when you visit...
  • Melanie at the kids club... makes a bit difference when your boy is asking if he can go back to the club and play with her, versus you having to ask him if he likes to go...
  • Ernesto at the Las Casitas pool-side restaurant for both lunch and breakfast - super friendly, the second day he already remembered our preferences...
  • Sylvester at the pool-services desk (I might have the exact spelling wrong...) accommodating anything we needed to have fun... a stretching session in the morning, compressor help for the floatie, ...
  • Reyna at the Estancia (breakfast and dinner)
  • Mauricio at the pool for drinks and food...

My tips...

• The Japanese restaurant Mikado runs a great Monday special... 5 cocktails and 5 sushi rolls for less than $50. Great sushi and above average cocktails (plenty to choose from). Must do.
  • The lobby has a nice ice-cream and crepe shop (unfortunately only opens at lunch time - the banana crepe would be perfect for breakfast vs. the 'pancakes' served at the restaurant.
  • Take the time to meet the people, talk to them, get to know them. You'll get an amazing service level.

And here are the pictures...

Mikado 5-roll sushi special... amazing.

The 5-roll sushi special at Mikado on Mondays (you can pick your own, comes with 5 cocktails for less than $50... a steal)

View from the pool-side

View from the "infinity" side of the renovated pool ...

Outcomes