ssindc

DC Rocks: (Smithsonian's) Apollo 50: Go for the Moon ... Wow

Discussion created by ssindc on Jul 21, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 27, 2019 by ssindc

In terms of, gee, DC is a great place to live (and visit) ... and, well, you don't see this kind of stuff every day ...

Frankly, I was utterly captivated by the NASA-Smithsonian 50th Anniversary - Apollo 50: Go For the Moon celebration and spectacle on the Mall last night.

Details here: https://airandspace.si.edu/go-for-the-moon

So, I thought I'd share a few pics.... I watched (experienced? and enjoyed) the 9:30 & 11:30 shows with the big screens at the Smithsonian, but, in between, I moved up to focus on the Washington Monument for the 10:30 show. Incredible. For me, last night was DC and the USA (and, frankly, METRO) at its (their) best

I'll let the pics speak for themselves....

Saturn V

Yup, that's projected onto the Washington Monument... But they're just getting warmed up...

Scaffolding

Scaffolding rocket night

Rocket scaffolding day

pre ignition

Full burn

colors

jettison

... OK, the next image (at the 10:30 show, delayed until just after 10:40), was projected AT THE MOMENT, 50 years ago, that Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon's surface!

Neil's footprint

moon

And ... maybe iahflyr will appreciate this, but how can a Rice alum (who spent a LOT of time in Rice Stadium) not appreciate Kennedy's iconic punchline (before announcing the moon mission): Why does Rice play Texas? 

Outcomes