scoreseasy

Free Night Certificate incorrectly showing as redeemed

Discussion created by scoreseasy on Jul 20, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 21, 2019 by communitymanagers

I was trying to use my 35k free night certificate from my Amex Bonvoy Business card. Somehow it is showing as redeemed, even though I never used it. Here is the timeline surrounding the certificate:

5/30 I redeemed 50,000 Bonvoy points for a 5 night award stay from 6/4-6/9 (conf# 95262764) .

6/3   I received my annual free night certificate.

6/4-6/9 Completed stay booked on 5/30.

6/19 The 5 elite nights from the award stay were not yet posted to my account. I submitted a missing stay request, and the elite nights were added to my account the same day. 

In early July I was trying to use my free night certificate, but didn't see it in my account. I called the Bonvoy line and the rep said it was showing as redeemed from my account on 6/19 for the stay from 6/4-6/9. I was not staying in any hotel on 6/19; the only activity that occurred was the missing stay request. Furthermore, the certificate did not even exist when I made the reservation for that stay.

The phone rep said that only the hotel could release the certificate back. She called the hotel, but a manager is only available during weekday business hours. I called the hotel back and left a message as the manager was unavailable. I followed up a few days later during business hours, and was told I'd receive a call back, which never came.

How can I get my certificate back? If it is easier just to add 35k points to my account then that would suffice. I'm a little frustrated with the effort that I've had to put in to correct an error by the hotel/Marriott, and that it is still not resolved. The hotel in question is the Yuma TownePlace Suites. 

Outcomes