AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cancellation Complaint

Question asked by teacher82 on Jul 15, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 by iahflyr

I made a reservation at a Marriott 2 days prior to travel.  My husband also booked with a different Marriott in the same area, unbeknownst to me.  I went back and cancelled the reservation that I had made within 24 hours of making the reservation.  I called the hotel to make sure I wouldn't be charged one night's stay as I was inside the cancellation window for penalty.  I added that I actually made the reservation in the same window....they did not care.  I was quoted at $185 per night and told I would be charged one night's stay with taxes.  I hung up and called Marriott rewards and a nice lady helped me by writing an email to the property's manager.  Unfortunately, it was the same person I spoke with.  In the meantime, I need to travel.  We arrive at the second Marriott in the same area and had a wonderful stay.  

Wouldn't it make sense to waive the penalty since we were staying in a Marriott down the street?  We were charged $333.00 as a penalty for not cancelling within the cancellation window (which was impossible as it was made so close to the stay).  I complained, I filled out forms, I have been on a merry go round since May.  All anyone really does is read a script of rules about the cancellation policy.  Has everyone lost their senses?

1. Penalty should have been waived

2. I was overcharged and lied to about my rate?

Outcomes