aaronva

Marriott/Chase Terms Change - Mandatory Arbitration

Discussion created by aaronva on Jun 20, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2019 by msannmcd

Marriott Bonvoy/Rewards cards participants:  Please be advised that you have/will receive a unilateral notice from Chase Bank / JPMC that alters the terms of use by removing the ability to use the courts to resolve disputes and the ability to form or join a class action suit, replacing these prior rights with mandatory arbitration. 

However, you can opt-out of this change but must do so by sending a letter by USPS to Chase.

Marriott - as the co-brand manager for Chase, I am appalled at this unilateral and sweeping limitation of rights and that you are party to it.  The way to not get sued is not to engage in practices that will get you sued - limiting these rights removes a key check and balance between customer and provider.  My letters also are copied to the CFPB and the state AG.

More info here:  https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-reject-jpmorgan-chase-credit-card-arbitration-2019-6

Below is content required by Chase to opt out.

June 20, 2019

JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.

P.O. Box 15298

Wilmington, DE 19850-5298

To whom it may concern,

Recently, I received a communication from JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A., explaining certain changes to the terms of the customer relationship. Among those changes is a new, binding arbitration provision with an opt-out notice.

I now write to reject forced arbitration of future disputes relating in any way to my relationship with JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A., Chase Bank USA, N.A., and all parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and related entities ("Chase"). I reserve my right to litigate all claims against Chase — including collective actions — in court.

As your instructions requested, my information is as follows:

<Your name and address>

Account number:  <your account number>

I have retained a copy of this letter for my personal files.

Thank you,

Outcomes