iahflyr

Silly Travel Things We/I Do

Discussion created by iahflyr on Jun 25, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2019 by iahflyr

UPDATED

I will start off with if you are an AV Geek then this is right up your alley, if not feel free to read on or simply move to the next thread which could be the https://insiders.marriott.com/thread/13999 thread! 

As a guy who got interested in aviation at a very early age and got my Private Pilot License at the age of 17, became an Air Traffic Controller at the age of 19 in the U.S. Army,  After four years in North Carolina in the Army my career moved to the FAA for another 32 years in Texas all the time still flying single and multi-engine planes, yes aviation has been in my blood for a very long time.  

While I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Wichita, KS, a few times to pick up brand new Cessna aircraft to fly home to Ft. Myers, FL., just before the Army tour, I have never made it to an inaugural flight of a new aircraft type for any airline.  So with that in mind why not see if you can find a way to get on one of the last flights on a soon to be retired type plane.  I missed out on the last revenue flights when Continental Airlines retired their B727's, MD80 series and early B733's and B735's fleets as well as the United Airlines retirement of the B744. 

This morning while wandering the internet on an AV Geek site I came across the posting of the last revenue flights for American Airlines (AA) Super 80 (MD80 series).  HMMM, since all their Super 80's are now based at DFW let me take a look at the list http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2019/American-Airlines-Announces-Schedule-of-Final-MD-80-Revenue-Flights/default.aspx and see what I may be able to stumble into using blind dumb luck!    

BINGO:

• IAH-DFW-CVG on September 3, 2019, back on September 4, 2019, First Class round trip for less than $460 

DONE:

• September 3, 2019, IAH=DFW on an AA B738 in Row 3 (which is bulkhead numbering on some AA planes)
  • September 3, 2019, DFW-CVG on an AA Super in 80 Row 3
  • Overnight at the Courtyard Cincinnati Airport points/cash (always looking for better rate so hotel could change)
  • September 4, 2019, CVG-DFW on an AA Super 80 Row 3
  • September 4, 2019,  DFW-IAH on an AA B738 Row 3

Easy, and since I booked it early enough before a bunch of AV Geeks started grabbing seats got seats I wanted and great price with two rides on the last few AA Super 80 flights  Yes, over the top....probably being gone a total of 26 hours, but what the heck love the MD80's sitting up front, so expect a post trip thread with photos.

Travel safe Insiders and grab a piece of history when you are able as well as great memories.

Outcomes