bjm

BRG got approved 2 days ago, now hotel won't honor it

Discussion created by bjm on Jun 16, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2019 by brightlybob

My BRG claim for 3 night stay at Renaissance New York Midtown was approved 2 days ago, and the reservation has been updated with the 25% off rate.  However, the hotel sent me a email today saying the following,

Good Morning Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Marriott Customer Care in regards to your upcoming booking from *** to ***. Based on the information provided, I understand you have found a comparison rate on a third party booking website, and would like for us to adjust the rate from $215 USD to the lower price that you found which is $175 USD a night. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to adjust the rates once a booking is processed. The only way to receive this rate is if the current reservation is cancelled and a new reservation is created through the third party website where you found the lower rate. You do have up to 72 hrs. to cancel your booking prior to your arrival. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions in regards to this.

Best,

Mxxx Oxxx
FRONT OFFICE SUPERVISOR
Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel
218 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001

It sounds like Renaissance has its own reservation system that won't agree with marriott.com's.  The message is also contradicting the email I received from BRG team 2 days ago below.

Hello xxxxx!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and submitting a Best Rate Guarantee claim. I am happy to share that I was able to approve your claim.

I was able to verify the following rate on the comparison site listed on your claim:
Rate: $175.00 USD per night excluding taxes and fees

The confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same, as well as the cancellation policy under which you originally booked.

The following rate will apply to your upcoming stay:
Rate: $131.25 USD per night excluding taxes and fees
Reservation Confirmation Number: xxxx

Your room rate now reflects an additional 25% discount for submitting a successful claim according to the terms of Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee. Please be aware, any modifications made to your reservation are not allowed and will invalidate this approval.

I want to let you know that you may discover that your room rate has not yet been modified on your confirmation record. I want to assure you that this will be corrected before you arrive.

We look forward to welcoming you soon!

Safe Travels!

Nxxx Pxxxx
Marriott Best Rate Guarantee

Can I just ignore Renaissance's email since my confirmed reservation shows the correct rate already?  Will I get charged the original rate if I don't do anything?  Is the hotel trying to trick me into paying at least 25% more, and losing my Platinum Elite benefits?

Outcomes