wiscfriend

Hotel Review -- Hotel Northland, Green Bay, WI

Discussion created by wiscfriend on Jun 12, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2019 by brilin

Hotel Northland is the new Marriott Autograph hotel in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is a complete renovation of the historic Hotel Northland that opened in 1924 as the largest hotel in Wisconsin at the time. The renovated hotel reopened on February 14, 2019 after a more than two-year renovation project. 

I stayed at the hotel on a Sunday night, the night after a Paul McCartney concert at Lambeau Field. I was told by staff that the night before I stayed was the first "sold out" night at the hotel -- something that will surely happen again soon once Packer home games begin.

Given the fact that concrete pillars rise through the entire 8-story building, I think Marriott did a reasonable job with the renovation/restoration. I was told that there are 36 different room configurations in the hotel.

Hotel lobby

The lobby has a 1920's elegant feel to it, minus the cigar smoke that would likely have been present back in the '20s!

I had done mobile check-n and set my arrival time for 1 pm. I got a message on my Bonvoy app that my room was ready at about 12:55 pm. When I arrived at 1:30 I was unsure about the parking situation (there was no valet at the desk outside), so I went to the front desk. Jake welcomed me and asked if I wanted a physical key since I was at the desk, and I said sure. He also explained I could self-park in the city structure adjacent to the hotel ($10 per day with in/out privileges) or I could do valet for $15. I chose to self-park. There is a connecting bridge from the parking structure to the hotel, which will surely be welcome in Green Bay winters.

I was also offered a small treat: a choice between a homemade cookie or a chocolate covered pretzel stick. I asked about breakfast since there is no lounge at this hotel, and Jake replied that since I had done mobile check-in I selected 750 points as my amenity in lieu of breakfast. He said I could change it if I wanted to, but I passed on that. I also asked if there were any upgrades available, but Jake said there were not.

I took my items up to my room (#615) and when I got there, the door was ajar and blankets, etc thrown off the bed. Clearly, housekeeping was still doing their job, even though no one was around. I went back downstairs and explained the situation. Jake apologized and a manager that happened to be at the desk gave me a certificate for breakfast as well as a $10 food voucher that I could use as well.

I was given a room on the 8th floor (#831), which was actually a little smaller than the room I had first been assigned.

There are two elevators in the lobby. I noticed that one of them did not have dings or beeps that signaled the floors as it was going up, something that would be difficult for some people with disabilities. I pointed this out to the staff.

Newspapers (Local [Press Gazette] and Wall Street Journal) are available in the lobby. Web site also states they will be delivered to the room. (I forgot to ask for that service to check it out).

Room view from entry door

View from the entry door to the room

Sleeping area

Bed (closet around corner behind chair). Evening turn down service is offered as an amenity on the hotel's web site. On Sunday night before I went to eat, I stopped at the front desk to request turn down. Nicholas, the evening clerk, wasn't sure if the hotel offered that and he had to go in the back to check if that was the case. He came back and said that my request could be accommodated. When I came back to my room later, I discovered that my bathroom (amenities and towels) had been refreshed, but the bed was not turned down (and why do they call it "turn down" service?) and there was no ice delivered (the most customary aspects of the service from my experience).

work area

The rest of the room. There is a refrigerator inside the cabinet under the coffee pot. No desk, but a table that doesn't move easily. Many outlets under the TV, but the arrangement seems a little strange since there is no desk. The fronts of the drawers and cabinet door are photo reproductions of the Green Bay Press Gazette front page of the day the original Hotel Northland opened. Nice history, but it seems a bit tacky in a hotel that hopes to be a classier venue.

Cozy chair corner

My two main complaints about the room were: 

1) no luggage rack (according to the front desk manager, the designer didn't want them, but the bed bench would be wholly inadequate for a full-size suitcase. My small-size travel bag barely fit.)

2) no lamp by the chair in the corner, making it impossible to sit and read at night. AND look at all the outlets next to the chair just screaming for something to be plugged in!

bathroom

The bathroom is spacious, with a large shower. And the hotel has HUGE luxurious bath towels. However, housekeeping puts them under the vanity on the far side of the bathroom from the shower, rather than putting at least one on the towel rack next to the shower. Weird!

Bath amenties

The bath amenities are nice, especially for those of us who are part of the "Little Bottle Club." They are not overly scented, for those who prefer more neutral amenities.

Walnut Room

The Walnut Room as set for breakfast. I was disappointed that the Walnut Room is not open on Sunday nights. I had hoped to enjoy a meal there as part of my experience. The restaurant lists itself as business casual attire. I wonder how that will hold up during Packer season when everyone is walking around in their favorite player's jersey! I enjoyed a good omelet and coffee for breakfast with my certificate.

Menu Board

Both the Walnut Room and the casual restaurant in the hotel (Poke the Bear) use an electronic menu board. If you click on an item a photo of it pops up. I'm not a particular fan of these, but I guess that's progress. I don't know if the Walnut Room uses these at night, but I'm guessing that they do. Not exactly a paean to the elegance of yesteryear!

key card

The key card for verysuiteboy 

All in all, my stay was very relaxing and a good value for the rate I paid. There are clearly lots of little glitches that this hotel still has to work on to come to what I would consider "Autograph" standards, but I give them an "A" for effort and a "B minus" overall.

I spent a little time on Monday afternoon with Nicole V., the Front Desk Manager. I told her about my experiences and shared with her the various things that I saw from the perspective of a guest that could use some improvement. She listened intently and wrote things down in a notebook, so I presume that some actions will be taken to improve.

I would definitely stay there again. Hotel Northland is certainly the premier hotel in Green Bay (although I have not stayed at the Hyatt across the street). Given that they are only a few months into their operation, I can forgive the glitches with the hope that in the future their execution of hospitality will be as spot on as a Brett Farve pass!

Outcomes