jinjia

Beware of DOUBLE CHARGE for one stay

Discussion created by jinjia on May 10, 2019
Latest reply on May 17, 2019 by jinjia

Just want to share with you what happened to me during a recent stay at the JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur and would like to remind everyone (especially myself) to check your credit card balance right before checking out a hotel.

Summary: during a recent (late March 2019) stay at JW Marriott KL, Malaysia, I was charged twice but have not been refunded as of May 10, 2019. After waiting for a response from Customer Support of Marriott for 3 weeks, I reached out to the Hotel Manager directly via email and received a promise that a refund will be issued but may take 4 weeks to proceed.

Full details (super long):

January 9, 2019 – I made a reservation at marriott.com for a stay of 5 nights (from March 24 to March 29) at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur. I used my credit card to guarantee the room.

March 23, 2019 – I was scheduled to fly from Edmonton, Canada to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with connections in Vancouver and Hong Kong; however, my first flight to Vancouver was delayed so I knew I would not be able to catch my connections and arrive in Kuala Lumpur on March 24. Therefore I called the Customer Support of Marriott (1-800-535-4028) around noon in Edmonton time (about 2AM on Sunday, March 24 in KL time) and asked the agent to inform the hotel that I will arrive on March 25 instead and please keep my room. The agent told me that she will send a note to the hotel and also re-sent me the reservation confirmation. 

March 24, 2019 – a charge of MYR 3,190.75 (total amount for the entire 5-night stay) was put on my credit card that was used to make the booking. I was NOT aware of this charge until April 7, 2019.

March 25, 2019 – I finally arrived at the hotel around 3PM. At check-in, I was told that my preferred room type was not available, as the hotel was fully booked. I was offered to be transferred to Ritz-Carlton for the same rate but I declined – I was then put in a room with 2 twin beds instead a king bed. In addition, I was told that I could be transferred into a room with a king bed on Wednesday, March 27 if I would like.

March 27, 2019 – I informed the hotel front desk that I didn’t need to transfer into a room with a king bed. I didn’t have time to do it.

March 29, 2019 – I checked out around 8:20AM. The staff helping me check-out presented me a bill for 4 nights. I asked her if it should be for 5 nights but she told me that I checked in on March 25 so it would be for 4 nights. I then signed the bill and presented my credit card for payment. After putting in the PIN for my credit card, I was asked if I would like to make the payment in Malaysian or Canadian currency. I chose Canadian and it was C$904.42 in total. I DID NOT know that the hotel already charged me for my entire stay (of 5 nights) on March 24, 2019 and the bill I was presented had a different room rate.

April 7, 2019  I found out that my credit card was charged twice (2 times) for the same stay.

April 8, 2019 – I contacted the Customer Support of Marriott (1-800-535-4028) and pointed out that I was charged twice for the same stay. I was told by the agent that they will contact the hotel and if I don’t hear back by Friday, April 12, I should call again. I then wrote a brief email to the Customer Support at Marriott.com

April 10, 2019 – I received a response from Josh Allaire at internet.customer.care@marriott-service.com but she did not provide any meaningful update.

April 12, 2019 – I did not hear back from marriott so I called the Customer Support of Marriott (1-800-535-4028) as I was told on April 8. The agent who answered the call told me that marriott already responded on April 10, referring to the email from Josh Allarie but did not provide any meaningful update.

April 24, 2019 – I called the Customer Support of Marriott (1-800-535-4028) as I was surprised that there has been NO response at all. After getting connected to an agent, I was transferred to a supervisor at the call centre, who then told me that she has escalated this case and I should hear back within the next 24 to 48 hours.

April 26, 2019 – I called the Customer Support of Marriott (1-800-535-4028) as it’s been 48 hours since my call on April 24. The agent who answered the call told me that she was going to provide me with a name and contact info and suggested that I should contact that individual directly. The agent also refused to transfer me to a supervisor.

I then emailed Mr. Yannick Gregory Mauchle, Hotel Manager, JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur at yannick.mauchle@marriott.com to ask for help. Mr. Mauchle responded after 11 hours and asked Mr. Reza Shahgholi, Front Office Manager (fo.hod.jwm@ytlhotels.com.my) to respond.

April 27, 2019 – Mr. Reza Shahgholi emailed me saying that he will get on this case on Monday, April 29

April 28, 2019 – Mr. Reza Shahgholi emailed me saying that he will raise a refund of RM3190.75.

May 8, 2019 – Alessandro S. from Guest Experience Assistance Team emailed me saying: “I am contacting you from Marriott Case Resolution services. Firstly, I would like to apologize for our delayed response.

I hope your issue at JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur has reached a positive conclusion. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else regarding this case.” I then responded that it had not been resolved and forwarded the last response I received from the hotel.

May 10, 2019 - Alessandro S. from Guest Experience Assistance Team responded saying “I am contacting you from Marriott Case Resolution services. I have been informed that the hotel contacted you directly. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else regarding this case.”

Here is what has happened and I am still waiting for my refund. After spending so much time (calling Marriott, going through all those questions with a robot before being able to speak to real people, being put on hold, writing these emails, etc.) on this case, I am really really really tired of contacting Marriott again. I am disappointed, frustrated and really angry about what has happened. I first thought it was a human error by accident and it should be sorted out and solved right away. I understand I am not an elite member of Marriott so the hotel or the group does not care about my case at all; however, I am simply asking the hotel to correct a mistake that was made.

I wonder why my room rate was RAISED to MYR 638.15 (the rate I was charged on March 29 when checking out) when it says MYR 550.13 when I made the reservation?

I only came across this insiders.marriott.com this week so I would like to share my experience with you. After reading through some of the complaints and reports posted by other guests, I am still counting myself quite lucky that the hotel manager actually responded but let’s see if I would get my refund eventually.

Thanks for reading and I hope none of you have to experience what I am going through...

Outcomes