AnsweredAssumed Answered

What should I say or do at a non-compliant hotel?

Question asked by ajetsetter on Apr 25, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2019 by idt

I'm a Titanium member. I choose to stay a lot at Marriott and, in exchange, they have promised me a number of things, like suite upgrades (based on availability) to the best available room. I hate fighting for something I have been promised -- it is like nails grating on a chalkboard. Unfortunately, this is happening a lot these days (it happened A LOT less at SPG). 

We have an upcoming stay as a family at a Ritz Carlton property. It gets good reviews online. We're looking forward to it. Even flying across the country to stay there. I've never done this before, but just for kicks and giggles, I called the hotel and asked them about their policy for upgrading Titanium members to suites (based on availability at time of check-in).

The very nice woman told me they "normally" provide one-category upgrades to Titanium members. This is essentially the same room with a different view. But she offered to sell me an upgrade to a suite. Um, ok. I confirmed with her that this is their policy as a property. I didn't want to argue with her since she was just following what she is told to do -- this was more of a fact-finding mission.

What should I say or do in advance of our stay? Anything? To whom? Frankly, I could go stay somewhere else. I'm also a Globalist at Hyatt and we consistently get upgraded to beautiful suites, full breakfast buffets and the works. Some part of me wants what I was promised for giving Marriott all my business. After all, is that what "we" agreed? I would give them money. They would give me benefits. It's in their T&Cs in black and white. So I said, sure, take my money in exchange for that.

What am I supposed to do?

p.s. I do not have any SNAs to apply to this stay.

Outcomes