jeb13

Marriott using reservations system to make ruse courtesy calls stating call is a new benefit for elites

Discussion created by jeb13 on Mar 13, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 14, 2019 by brightlybob

I am booked for a 4 nite stay in a Marriott in NYC.  I am a Titanium elite.  Rec’d a call 2 days before checking in. Asked for me by name.  Told me Marriott now calling upper level elites to welcome them for upcoming reservations and asking if any special needs or activities they can arrange, etc.  I mentioned I know at the hotel where I will be staying one must ask for an in-room coffee maker as they are available but not automatically placed in the rooms.  The caller said, “Certainly, I will make a note of it.  But please remind the front desk when you are checking in.”

Asked in a friendly way, nature of trip - business or pleasure.  He noted reservation is for 2 persons and asked if I was traveling with my spouse. Had me on the phone for a few minutes then asked if I had ever used Marriott Vacation Club,  I said no and that I was not interested.  He persisted, asking if I was interested in being rewarded for giving 90 minutes of my time for a presentation.   I said I could not believe he was pitching me based on my hotel reservation and even after I told him I was not interested.  Only then did he cease and ended the call.

i think this is an extremely deceitful way of using the reservation database and holding forth that Marriott is enhancing my elite standing with a new, personalized benefit out of appreciation for my business.  

Outrageous.   If it wasn’t so difficult to reach anyone to report this to, I would have.  But I do not have the time to play find-the-right-number game.   

This is is the first time this has happened to me and I am curious to learn if others have had a similar experience. 

Outcomes