vesmith25

Losing Platinum Status Gained During Gold Challenge in Early 2018 Due to Bonvoy Implementation

Discussion created by vesmith25 on Mar 10, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 29, 2019 by chanmin.lee

I received Marriott Gold Status last January 2018. When the new status levels were released I was changed to Platinum in August 2018 as that was the new equivalent of my current status level. My understanding of completing a status challenge is that you maintain the status through the year earned as well as the following year. On March 3, 2019 my status was downgraded to Gold.

I spent over an hour on the phone with customer representatives yesterday (a representative and a first level supervisor) being told that as I only had 42 nights last year Gold was my correct level. They simply could not understand that as my status was achieved during a challenge I should still be Platinum. One of them was extremely rude as well. They were saying as I did a Gold challenge I still have Gold status and there was nothing they could do. I finally spoke with a second level supervisor and was told I was correct and that I should still be Platinum and they are working to correct the issue as obviously I am not the only person experiencing this problem. 

Has anyone else in this same situation been experiencing these same issues with customer service? I have several upcoming reservations and was told to have the hotel contact the customer service reps and they would tell them my correct status until the issue is fixed. Realistically I do not see how this solution will work since there are obviously many reps that do not understand the issue and would likely tell the hotel I am still Gold. 

I am beyond frustrated at this point. Any suggestions with how to proceed would be appreciated. I'm hoping perhaps someone else has been successful with getting a similar situation sorted out. Thank you in advance!

Outcomes