I got a (very good) rate at the Miami Brickell aloft ... and despite my general inclination to avoid this chain that we acquired in the merger (which my spouse has been less critical of ... she cares less about things like lounges and breakfasts) ... I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did.
- great rate - much (half) of what the competing properties ... only a few blocks away (but, frankly, in the heart of the business/shopping district);
- best room I've seen in an aloft - and not by a little bit;
- large, comfy room, with a couch (that might be a fold out, but I didn't check);
- excellent work space - extra long desk
- full balcony, with a sliding glass door ... although no balcony furniture;
- a robe ... and slippers ... didn't see that coming!
- classic (little) single-serve coffee maker;
- plenty of electrical outlets;
- portable luggage rack (which is kind of a necessity given the aloft minimalist closet schtick)...
- standalone, clearly-marked recycling container!!! (Incremental progress is better than no progress.)
- USA Today in the hallways - free newspapers - I thought I'd gone back in time!
- High energy live music/entertainment in the lobby last night (but I was just passing through)...
- Air handler (HVAC) was louder than I'd like (bordering on violent), but it was pretty hot in Miami, so....
Oh, and the folks at the front desk were very nice.
Based on this, I expect I'll continue to experiment with aloft and try to temper my initial less-than-enthusiastic assessment of the chain.