j&c

Planning to choose ACB "free night" on/about Jan. 3rd and before Jan.14th

Discussion created by j&c on Dec 23, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2019 by j&c

If I wait to choose "Free Night" for the Annual Choice Benefit of 75 Elite Night Credits until January 2019, it will be available until the end of December 2020. If I choose it today, it will expire at the end of December 2019. C

Marriott Rewards  

Annual Choice Benefit: As described in section 4.3.c.vi, a Platinum Premier Elite Member who has achieved 75 Elite Night Credits annually is eligible to receive one additional benefit from the list of available benefits listed below:

Platinum Premier Elite Annual Choice Benefit Options:

• Five (5) Suite Night Awards™
  • 40% off bed
  • $100 Charity Donation
  • The gift of Gold Elite status for a friend or family member
  • Five (5) Elite Night Credits
  • One (1) Free Night Award

One Free Night Award

• The Free Night Award (up to 40,000 points) must be redeemed for a stay that occurs no later than December 31 of the year following the year in which the additional benefit is selected (e.g., if the benefit is selected in 2019, the deadline for redemption is December 31, 2020).
  • The Free Night Award will be credited to the Platinum Premier Elite Member's account within two (2) weeks of the Platinum Premier Elite Member selecting this option as his/her Platinum Premier Elite Annual Choice Benefit. The Free Night Award can be redeemed at any available Participating Property for one (1) night, up to 40,000 points, for a standard room.
  • Members can use their Award while booking an eligible Award Redemption Stay on Marriott websites or they may call Member Support and mention they wish to use their Free Night Award. A Free Night Award is not transferable and may not be redeemed for cash or converted into points. Any unused Free Night Award will be forfeited. Free Night Award stay(s) and night(s) will count toward earning Elite membership status. Free Night Awards are combinable and may be added to existing paid or Free Night Award stays.
  • The Free Night Award includes all applicable taxes; however, the Platinum Premier Elite Member may be responsible for payment of additional mandatory resort fees at Participating Properties where resort fees are applicable.
  • Free Night Award redemptions may be canceled pursuant to the standard guarantee and cancellation policies as described in Section 3.2.c.
  • An eligible Loyalty Program Member should check his/her Member account to confirm the expiration date of his/her Free Night Award.
  • Any Free Night Award(s) previously awarded to SPG Members as an Annual Choice Benefit which have not yet been redeemed have changed in value and are now valued up to 40,000 points and will have the same expiration date.

The free night cert however is valid to the end of the year following the year it is chosen - Rule 4.3d A (1) - meaning if you earn the 75 night choice as I have in December 2018 but I don’t actually choose it till January 2019, it will then be valid till end December 2020 - if I choose it right now  (12/12/18) it will expire at the end of December 2019. I will need to be alert though and choose quickly in 2019, if I haven’t chosen my 75 night (or indeed 50 night) choice by 14 January 2019 Marriott will make the choice for me and deposit 5 SNAs into my account. So SNAs expire the end of the year following they year they are earned, the free night cert expires the end of the year following the year it is chosen.

Outcomes