normanp

Underwhelming stay...but excellent aftercare...eventually

Discussion created by normanp on Dec 22, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2018 by brilin

Our last stay this year (50+ stays and 92 nights) was in mid-November at the St Regis New York. I described some of the issues with the stay at Advice on St Regis NYC . Long story short - I stayed on points and was given the distinct impression that points stayers were treated very differently from other guests (there were several other issues). On my return to the UK I contacted the hotel by phone to share some of my frustrations with them - I was listened to and, basically, dismissed. Further frustrated, I decided to share my experience on TripAdvisor. Within a couple of days the GM responded to my review and asked me to contact him. I wrote to him and enclosed a full account of my stay. The next day I received a very conciliatory reply from the GM who investigated my complaints, accepted the validity of them and apologised. Further, I was offered a refund for the extras that I'd spent at the hotel, 20,000 points as a compensatory gesture and an invitation to contact the GM prior to any other visit. Whilst we are still a little disappointed that what should have been a very special stay turned out to be considerably less than we'd hoped for, we are nevertheless happy that our concerns were eventually addressed.  As I've mentioned here several times before - I prefer not judge an experience entirely on what goes wrong - we all make mistakes, what differentiates the best organisations is how they deal with those mistakes once they happen. In this case, eventually (and thanks to the power of TripAdvisor), the hotel responded appropriately.

Outcomes