painedplatinum

The First Design Hotels, And Then There Were Six

Discussion created by painedplatinum on Nov 19, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 25, 2018 by painedplatinum

There are only nine Design Hotels in North America. Unless you live in New York City (3) or California (3), you may need to travel many miles to find this Brand. I get to NYC many times each year and have just recently been looking for rates to make a stay possible. Nothing yet in the Big Apple, but...….

I am in the SoCal area for Thanksgiving week this year and there just happens to be a Design Hotel in Beverly Hills..near all the beautiful people. The Avalon Hotel is a Category 5. The nightly rate was over $200, so I burned a cert and took the plunge.

By staying at a Design Hotel, that brings my current total to 23 of 29 Marriott Brands. Look out verysuiteboy, I'm catching up!! I still intend to grab a W stay before the ball drops on New Years Day. 

The Avalon Hotel is best described as a swanky old style motel. The three story building brings back memories of old movies and movie stars. The following from the hotel web site is spot on:

"Quintessentially L.A., Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills sets the tone for hip repose with a boomerang-shaped pool surrounded by private cabanas—some with sweeping views of the city. Tucked in a secluded residential neighborhood adjacent to Beverly Hills’ world-class restaurants and shops, the hotel was built in 1949 and was frequented by the likes of Marilyn Monroe. Thanks to contemporary style icon Kelly Wearstler, the 84 rooms and suites—many with kitchenettes or private patios—still blend Old Hollywood roots with a distinct 1950s vibe."

The valet team and front desk folks were wonderful. Getting upgraded to a junior suite on the cert, was unexpected, but welcome.  The neighborhood, on foot or cruising in a car is a first time experience that I won't forget.

Outcomes