AnsweredAssumed Answered

Marriott's "Best" Customer(s)?

Question asked by ssindc on Oct 28, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 by verysuiteboy

Sorry if I've missed it, but has Marriott (or the travel media) ever identified or outed Marriott's best customer?

Now that the post-merger world has more injected more transparency in the Ambassador program - leaving no doubt that Marriott's best customers - the most appreciated folks - the ones who will earn and receive the best of everything - are the big spenders.  We now know that butts in the bed or artificial nights are not the coin of the realm - it's all about spend (at least $20,000 per year) - the folks who drop big money (rather than the most frequent budget travelers) are the truly elite Marriott customers.

In an interesting (but disappointing) note, see this evolving thread:  Ambassador Assignment (and lack of...)   All I can say on this is that (as I note below), at least on United, these designations (uber-elite) categories have the potential to make a real difference...

Marriott appears to have been a few years behind United in taking a similar step.  (For years, it seemed - at least it seemed to me - like Marriott focused (almost) exclusively on points and nights - and nights included everything - butts in the bed, charge card usage, rollover nights, etc...)  My experience with United was that this really makes a difference - in terms of status and perks - for cost-conscious travelers...  Since United made the change, although I've accumulated 100,000+ miles per years, my spend rate hasn't always met the threshold to earn me United's 1K status (in other words, in 2017, even with 100,000+ miles, I remained stuck at Platinum, where the perks are much less attractive)...  And don't even get me started on United's biggest spenders - their Global Services customers - the folks who buy premium tickets and - to my mind - accordingly deserve the very best of service from United. (Rumor has it that you probably need $75,000 or more in annual spend to qualify for Global Services, but it's discretionary, so there's no hard numbers.)

Anyway, doing a little research on this topic today, I found this profile of United's best customer - remarkable stuff.  UA 18 Million Miler Talks About His '500 to 600' 747 Flights  -  I feel like I travel/fly a lot on United (I'm on track for 125k+ miles this year), but United's "best customer," well, that's another story. (Note, it's not just a LOT of flying - the guys figures he spends half his life on an airplane - but he's always in the front of the plane, sitting in the most expensive seats.) 

Which brings me back to where I started:  has Marriott (or the travel media) ever identified or outed Marriott's best customer?

Outcomes