katemce

Complaint/HELP

Discussion created by katemce on Oct 1, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 by kharada46

I have an upcoming trip planned to Athens, GA that I booked using the Marriott app. I had 26,363 points plus my free anniversary night (since I have the chase Marriott credit card) and was planning to pay for the third night with the previously mentioned credit card. I have had a Marriott account/credit card for several years and have always booked my stays thru the app. The app was recently updated and when I booked the stay, somehow points (for the entire stay) were purchased with my credit card (even though I selected to use my free night and points). I now have 75,000 points (49,000 purchased unknown to me with my credit card) and a $700+ charge on my credit card. The hotel is only $125 per night so why in the world would I have purchased $700+ of points for a stay that should have cost me only one night (with using my free night and my points I already had). I e-mailed customer service twice and got a response several days after my 1st email that said "Sorry to hear points were mistakenly purchased, they are non-refundable. Please feel free to reach out if you need anything further." which just escalated my frustration with Marriott. I then called the customer service number listed on the website and was on hold 42 minutes before I was connected with a representative. The representative was very hard to understand (language barrier) and said she could cancel my stay but I would not be able to be refunded for the points that were purchased mistakenly. Is there someone I can talk to in order to get a refund for these points? I did not knowingly purchase $700+ of points (for a stay that even if paid all in cash would have been less than $500.00). I think this is unethical and a very very poor customer service issue. I would like to make a formal complaint against Marriott for this. I will be making complaints to the Better Business Bureau and the Department of Consumer Services so that other customers will not have to go thru this same problem. I will also be writing letters to as many Marriott corporate as possible so that this process can be fixed. There is absolutely no fiscal sense to why points would have been purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Outcomes