AnsweredAssumed Answered

Up-channel Advice Needed! Rodents at a Courtyard damaged my car!

Question asked by kr111 on Jun 30, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2018 by pey

Up-channel Advice Please!! Rodents at a Marriott property caused damage to my vehicle!!

I have had a very unpleasant experience at the Courtyard Marriott in Oakland. I've attached the email chain between the property manager and myself regarding the issue & removed all email addresses and names (start reading from the bottom and then go up).

Rodents chewed threw wiring in my car while it was parked overnight during my stay at the Courtyard!!... To the tune of 13k in damages (they originally said it might be totaled)!! It was totally fine when I drove in the night before, and warning lights started flashing before I could even make it out of the parking lot. Luckily I am only out of pocket for my deductible, but I feel like I shouldn't have to pay anything for damage that was done to my car by rodents at a Marriott property. 

What was even more unpleasant than the damage that the rodents did to my car, was the property manager's apathy and unwillingness to try to come up with a solution of some sort, even if he couldn't accommodate my original request. In fact, I felt, he came across as quite condescending.

As a Platinum Premier for Life member, a loyal Marriott customer for the last 10 years, and a loyal customer to that specific property (I have consistently stayed there several times a year for the past 10 years)  you'd think the manager might try to be helpful or at least pretend to try to come up with a solution of some sort, right???

I reached out to my Marriott Ambassador to help with the matter ( to no avail) and also had her get me the email of property manager's manager. It was an email address for Remington Hotels. I looked up Remington Hotels, and it looks like they are a company Marriott contracts for hotel staff. No wonder the manager doesn't care that Marriott is losing a platinum premier customer - He doesn't actually work directly for Marriott!  

At this point, I'm ready to switch my loyalty to another hotel chain, but I thought I'd try to reach someone up the Marriott ladder (not the Remington Hotel Ladder) first.

Does anyone know who I should contact? Please help!

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:55 AM
To: K
Cc: Ambassador
Subject: Re: Rodent Problem

Greetings,
I am not accusing you of anything. I would like to reiterate one last time that we are not responsible for the alleged rodent damage to your vehicle. While we certainly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott your membership status does not include coverage for vehicle repairs.

Thank you! 

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:55 AM
To: K
Cc: Ambassador
Subject: Re: Greetings from Courtyard Oakland

Dear Ms. R, Again, we ARE NOT responsible for what happened to your vehicle while it was parked here or somewhere else.Thank you! 

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:54:56 AM
To: T (F)
Subject: Re: Rodent Problem

If nobody has complained about this before, it doesn't mean that this didn't happen. So you mentioning that is irrelevant.

I would never bring this to your attention if I wasn't positive that it took place at your property. It sounds like you are accusing me of being dishonest and being someone who is just looking for a paycheck, which couldn't be further from the truth. I have been a loyal Platinum Elite (for life) Marriott customer, spending 10's of thousands of dollars with Marriott every year for the last ten years and staying over a hundred nights per year over the last 10 years.

I am asking for reimbursement for my out of pocket expenses (my deductible)  because I should not have to worry about rodent damage to my car while I am paying to stay on your property. I've stayed on your property many times before and haven't had any issues, but this time rodents chewed into my electrical system while it was parked on your property.

Please advise the last time Ecolab (or any other rodent company you use) has actually checked the parking lots and surrounding areas for rodents. Also please advise as to where exactly and how Ecolab check the parking lot.

-K

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:23:36 AM
To:Tahsin (F)
Cc: Ambassador, 
Subject: Re: Greetings from Courtyard Oakland

My car was fine when I drove in the night before, and as soon as I tried to leave in the morning, the problems began. The damage happened in YOUR parking lot... on Marriott property. You ARE responsible for the damage that occurs on your property.
Please do what's right.
I'm asking for the 1000.00 deductible. I think it's a very reasonable request because this happened on your property.
-K

On Jun 28, 2018, at 8:52 AM, T (F) wrote:

Dear Ms. Russi,I am very sorry to hear the issues with your vehicle. I hope the dealer can repair it for you.To my regret ma'am we are not able to offer any type of compensation as we have nothing to do with the break down of your car. We have never had any sort of rodent issues neither in our parking lot nor in our building and we never will as our building and parking lot gets regular checks from Ecolab for any type of infestation, just like the other hotels in the state of California.Moreover our guests leave their vehicles in our park lot at their own risk and we have never had this type of complaint from anyone else. I totally understand how it feels to possibly not having a vehicle any longer but like I said whatever the dealer told you has nothing to do with us or the service we provide.Thank you! 

Sent: 6/26/2018 12:32 PM
To: marriottrewardsambassador
Subject: Rodents at Courtyard Oakland Airport

Hello,
I wanted to reach out and let you know about a (very costly) problem I had at the Courtyard Marriott Oakland Airport on 6/17/18.
I'm going to give you all (maybe too many) of the details, so you have them for your records.
On 6/17 I drove from my home in Santa Rosa to Oakland to do some work. I had a flight early the next morning so I elected to stay at the Courtyard at the airport to save myself hours of driving that night and early the next morning.
When I left the hotel the morning of 6/18, my car immediately had several lights illuminate on my dash warning me of "hybrid malfunction" and "low power output," among others.
As I attempted to accelerate, it took my car an exceptional amount of time to get to an appropriate speed, and this happened a couple more times after I came to stop lights on the way to the airport.
I didn't have time to go to the dealership right then because I had to get to work (I'm a flight attendant for a corporate flight department & we had a flight leaving shortly), but I assessed that I could make it to where I needed to be as it was only a short distance from the hotel.
I left on my 5 day trip, & while I was on my trip I called the Toyota dealership nearby and asked if they could send someone to pick up my car, bring it in and look at it as I had left my keys with the front desk. They said they couldn't pick it up & I'd have to bring it in myself, so this meant I'd have to bring it in on Saturday since I got back late Friday evening (the 23rd).
Fast forward to Friday evening... As I'm leaving, I get a couple of miles down the road and my car completely shuts down in the middle of the road. I called a tow truck and decided to have it towed to the dealership where I live & leave the keys in the drop box.
The next day, the dealership called me to inform me that what had caused the problems, was that a rodent had chewed through wires in my car. They could see that the rodent(s) had only been there for a short period of time as there were no signs of nesting or signs that they had gotten into any other part of the car (no urine or ***** anywhere in any part of the car, which is always found if a rodent has been there for couple of days or more). Unfortunately, the wires they chewed through are basically the most important wires in the car which connect the hybrid and electrical systems with every other part of the vehicle... And unfortunately, the wiring harness is all 1 harness, so basically the whole electrical system needs to be replaced.
The dealership is still working on the car, but I was told by the dealership that, "they think they might be able to not total my car."
My car is a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime and worth in the neighborhood of at least 25k... and now it's "possibly totaled"... because of rodent(s) that chewed into the car while I was staying on a Marriott property!!!! And it's clear that it happened at the Courtyard because I had no problems with the car before I arrived at the Courtyard property. The problems all started the next morning as I was leaving.
I have co-workers who can attest to my car issues (they saw me the day before & could observe that I had no issues with my car as I was driving to and from aircraft, and I had them look at the alerts in my car the next day as told them about my strange car troubles coming from the hotel the next morning), the front desk attendants at Signature Aviation who can attest that I left my keys with them in hopes that I could get someone to pick the car up, and the service manager at the Oakland Toyota dealership can attest that I reached out to them to see if they could send someone to pick my car up while I was gone on my work trip.
I called the property and left a message for the property manager on Saturday 6/24, and have not heard back from anyone yet.

I'm writing to inform you that :

1.  The Courtyard Oakland Airport has a rodent problem in the parking lot  ( and possibly other parts of the property ) that needs to be taken care of immediately.
  2.  That I would like Marriott to cover my out of pocket expenses for the damage that clearly happened to my car while it was on a Marriott property. If my car is not "totaled," (fingers crossed!!!) my out of pocket expenses will be my $1000 deductible. If it is totaled, then my out of pocket will likely be much more.

Please let me know what you can do to help.

Thank you,

Outcomes