AnsweredAssumed Answered

DC for the 4th of July

Question asked by nmballoonist on Jun 10, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 by metallist76

On of the things on Mrs NMBalloonist and my bucket list is to visit Washington DC over the 4th of July and take in the concert and fireworks on the mall.  Our anniversary is just a couple of weeks before and my work schedule has me open for that week, so we are going to do it this year.  We are going to arrive on Sunday July 1 and leave on Friday, July 6th.  I was able to score a government rate at the JW for that time and decent rates on Southwest flights into DCA.  Going to contact the JW to see what sort of upgrade we can score as a Platinum and maybe some nice touch for our anniversary. No car, just going to Metro, cab, or walk to destinations, although we might want to pick up a tour to Mt Vernon while there.

I have spent a fair amount of time in DC over the last 5-6 years so I know my way around pretty well, but just wondering if any of our Insiders, especially ssindc might have any suggestions or words of wisdom for us regarding visiting that week.  I have read that you can go to the concert rehearsal the day before and then watch the fireworks on the 4th at a location closer to the Washington monument, but might want to do both on the 4th.  A business colleague in DC said I wasn't crazy for considering this also gave me some WaPo links as well as some washington.org links, but thought I would ask some of the resident experts here on the forum.

Thanks is advance for any advice.

Outcomes