ssindc

Geneva - Hotel President Wilson (SPG Luxury Collection) - First (and now 2nd) Impressions (and Pics)

Discussion created by ssindc on Jun 1, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 3, 2018 by brianandlin

Ah, back at Geneva's Hotel President Wilson, and that's a good thing.  I really like this hotel (although the price tag can be a bit daunting).  Most significantly, my spouse is with me this time (hooray), and she is also happy with the hotel, so I'm about as happy as it gets!!!

This is a wonderful property - attractive, comfortable, and extremely well managed!  And, no surprise, the Concierge is terrific!

A different view this time - more across the lake, as opposed to down the lake (see below) - but equally stunning:

Lake Geneva

Update: The hotel appears to have (very) recently purchased a couple of new bicycles - available to guests for free - solid, smooth, comfortable.  I rode one for a few/couple of hours this evening, and it was great!  (And, if you've never been before, Geneva is a splendid bike city!)

Below is my review from my first stay here, last year....

- - - 

Well, I must admit, I'm pretty impressed by Geneva's Hotel President Wilson, which is a SPG Luxury Collection property (and an encouraging sign of things to come for longtime Marriott high rollers). 

Full disclosure: I've stayed in an number of (surprisingly) modest (or, um, disappointing/mediocre) hotels in Geneva that were NOT priced like budget hotels, so maybe I'm over-reacting, but I don't think so.

First impressions (and some images - sorry, phone pics only):

• Nice location - on Lake Geneva - an easy walk from the central train station.
  • Warmly welcomed as a loyal (Marriott) Platinum member - permitted to check-in (without begging) before 10 am;
  • Upgraded to a (very) nice room - not a suite, but with a great view, plenty of room, and comfortable seating options. 

Guest Room - Hotel President Wils

• Coffee geeks will notice the Nespresso pods (see, lower, left-hand corner) - and the machine is out of the picture frame.
  • And, yes, the view - standing at the window - is out over Lake Geneva to the right and, to the left, the Palais Wilson (and the Memorial to Woodrow Wilson) - here's a better look at the view, among other things, overlooking the splendid pool deck:

Hotel President Wilson Pool Deck, Palais Wilson, and Lake Geneva

• Offered a number of options at check-in, and I chose breakfast (over extra points, a food credit, or ... a Swiss Army Knife!) - and it was worth it - very nice breakfast (including omelettes to order, smoked salmon, and plenty of attractive options)....
  • The property is not cheap - OK, it's quite expensive - which is no surprise because it feels more like a Ritz Carlton (in terms of service - excellent, fast, responsive, precise, efficient) than a full-service Marriott.  (Quick example: my shoes were returned shined - free of charge - less than 15 minutes after I called the concierge to inquire about the service.) Tidbits:
    • Dining in Geneva is expensive, but the restaurants on property are (gorgeous, but) very/extremely expensive. (Granted, one is a Michelin starred restaurant, so it is what it is. The full tasting menu with wine pairing was a nice round $250, without cheese ... maybe I'll try that next time.)
    • This evening, a colleague and I shared a late evening chat on the pool deck, and coffee and tea were $12 apiece (yup, $24 for one coffee and one tea, which, admittedly, was served in a nice pot, and the glasses were quite nice too ... and they gave us each a cookie, but neither of us tried them ... alas).
  • The bathroom was nicely appointed, and the Hermes toiletries are quite nice.  I expect that some American guest will be taken aback by the modest Euro tub, but hey, it's Geneva...
  • Robes (surprisingly, nothing special) and slippers - indeed two sizes of slippers, including a comfortable size (significantly larger than found in most hotels).
  • Foam pillows available on demand - worth asking for.
  • Bonus points for the in-room, free-of-charge, oh-so-handy (no pun intended), handy smart phone.  

FREE, no hassle, grab and go - Google Maps on demand (and, again, free of charge).  International calls (including to the US (again, free of charge).  I expect we'll be seeing more of these in hotels in the future.  It's a wonderful service.

Assuming it's within your price range, I'd recommend the property (and the staff) without hesitation.

Outcomes