crashrit

BATTLEPLAN TO LTG: My Strategy (Comments Welcomed)

Discussion created by crashrit on Apr 23, 2018
Latest reply on May 27, 2018 by uatraveler1k

Hi all - In an effort to ensure I get whole mess straight, I am documenting my path LTG before the end of the year. My goal is to collaborate and to help others who are in a similar boat out as well. Glad to keep everyone in the loop - and welcome any feedback!

Goal:

• Obtain Marriott Lifetime Gold under the current program. This will transfer to Lifetime Platinum under the new program as long as this is completed prior to 12/31/2018.

Acronyms & Labels:

• (OLD) = Current Program until Aug 1st.

• (NEW) = New changes effective Aug 1st.

• (CONFIRMED) = Based on research I believe this assumption/statement is TRUE. This may still be wrong and my misunderstanding.

• (UNSURE) = Based on research I believe this assumption/statement is still TBD. This is something I would like to go in my favor.

Section 1: My Scenario (CONFIRMED: 4/23/2018)

• Current Nights: 531

• Current Points: 1,155,355

• Credit Cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Marriott Rewards Visa Signature, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Freedom #chasepowerhouse

• Points Needed: 444,645

• Years at Platinum: 4 (Sidenote: only matters if I miss this opportunity)

• New car loan and first homebuying decision (1-2 years out): New credit card is not out of the question but could hurt.

Section 2: Assumptions to the scenario

• As of August 1, 2018, I will be Platinum Premiere under (NEW). I am currently Platinum under (OLD) and have 75 nights this year already (thanks roll-over, RIP). (CONFIRMED)
  • I will have until December 31, 2018 to complete this task of Points Needed. (UNSURE)

• TBD?!?!
  • Don't bank on SPG points being transferred counting towards lifetime EVEN if they are just stays (CONFIRMED)

• Scammers and schemers win here. Why can't legit points i've earned with SPG move over and count towards lifetime. I have no intention of trying to scheme here by moving them back and forth.
  • Cannot apply for the new Marriott Rewards Premiere Card and get the signup bonus -- need to upgrade. (UNSURE)

• These are the things i've heard. Too much uncertainty to mark confirmed:
      • Only one premiere card at a time. (CONFIRMED)
      • Only one gets the nights per year (doesn't matter, I have 500+ already) (CONFIRMED)
      • Only one gets the sign-up bonus (in which, I would have to upgrade - why bother with the new one). (UNSURE)
      • "This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new card member bonus for this card in the past 24 months." (UNSURE)
  • Applying for any SPG cards - the points WILL NOT count towards lifetime EVER. (UNSURE)

• Unsure if after August 1st if signing up for a credit card will give you (NEW) points, which will count for limetime under the (OLD) criteria.
  • Points earned under the (NEW) program will count towards lifetime status at the (NEW) rate while people achieve lifetime status under the (OLD) program from August 1 - December 31, 2018. (CONFIRMED)
  • Merging my account should be done ASAP when offered. (UNSURE)
    • Once accounts are merged, NEW starts. All NEW points will still count towards the OLD members getting lifetime by Dec 31, 2018. (UNSURE)
    • Or does this not matter and even if the accounts aren't merged, NEW earning scheme will take effect. (UNSURE)
      • May offer easier granularity to charge full steam ahead for getting lifetime by keeping Marriott as-is. (UNSURE)

Section 3: Like Generals in the war room... Let's execute this plan!

• 3.1 Rewards Credit Card

• Goal: Get sign-up points or upgrade points by moving to (NEW) Marriott CC, use for Marriott transactions.
    • Points Estimate: 50,000
  • 3.2 Stays and Points

• Goal: Keep staying!!!
    • Points Estimate: 140,000
  • 3.3 Chase Transfer

• Goal: Transfer as little point as needed from Chase to Marriott to top off to
    • Points Estimate: 254,645
    • Will this work after August 1st? (UNSURE)

Section 4: Alternatives

• Ritz-Carlton Credit Card
  • SPG Cards (If those points count as NEW points, and NEW points count towards us OLD members trying to achieve lifetime by Dec 31, 2018)

This needs to be flushed out a bit more -- but I appreciate any comments or additions to the scenario here. I'll be replying when I can -- please be ensured comments that assist, I will edit the document accordingly and keep everyone apprised of my progress.

Thanks for reading!

Outcomes