AnsweredAssumed Answered

Anyone else had a problem getting dropped from United Silver Status?

Question asked by readygo on Feb 1, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2019 by bejacob

I'm new here; I'm Marriott Platinum member (became Platinum in 2017, good through Jan 2019), which gets one Silver Premier status on United (via RewardsPlus).

I flew United with Silver status in late 2017, and in December 2017 booked another United flight taking place in early January 2018. When I made the reservation in Dec., my Silver status was acknowledged in my United reservation. But when it came time to check into my flight in Jan, I no longer had Silver status with United, and was charged a $25 bag fee.

So my Silver status had been dropped, oddly.

Customer service calls to Marriott and United resulted in each blaming the other -- United saying I need to re-register with RewardsPlus at the start of the calendar year, Marriott saying that I shouldn't have to do this, and my Silver status should have been continued into 2018, as per the language on the RewardsPlus site, which reads: "Members who have already registered for and received complimentary MileagePlus Premier Silver status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary MileagePlus Premier Silver status for the following calendar year."

Eventually Marriott helped restore my Silver status with United, and offered me a $50 gift card to make up for the $25 bag fee.

What was overall quite disappointing was never any clear explanation from either company why this happened, how it could have been prevented, and what would be done to change this in the future.

Anyone else deal with this -- or understand how this happened, or how it could be prevented?

Outcomes