nipper

Marriott response to KRACK WIFI attack

Discussion created by nipper on Oct 18, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 by nipper

If you have not heard about KRACK,  you will be. Homeland Security made an announcement on Monday and it isn't pretty.

There is a vulnerability in public WIFI that allows criminals to snoop through supposedly encrypted packets found on public WIFI sites (specifically WPA and WPA2 sites)

Basically I have been told by my company to not use hotel/airport/other public WIFI unless it is certain the hardware they use has fixed this vulnerability. Under no circumstances am I to connect to corporate VPN or use a credit card over a public WIFI.

I really hope our admins can find out an official statement about the WIFI in properties  and the plan to get this addressed.

There is a lot of speculation that it may take years to address.  Assuming all properties have the same wifi routers and can be updated remotely this could take weeks/months.  However firmware or hardware upgrades will take very long.

This is going to get ugly. I really wish Marriott still had the plug in network. You will see a lot of people use the phone or other hot spots now.

Outcomes