iahflyr

Hotel Review Courtyard Downtown Houston/Convention Center, Sort Of

Discussion created by iahflyr on Jun 13, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 by iahflyr

Not only a hotel review but more!!

Last night my Wife and I decided to attend a very very sad Astros game at Minute Maid Park, cannot believe our hometown Houston Stros managed only two (yes two) hits against those Rangers.  ICK

Anyway, I had a Category1-5 certificate that needed to be used so why not stay downtown as we always do after a basketball game, baseball game or concert and use it at a spot we have not visited in some time, the Hotels In Houston Texas | Courtyard Houston Downtown.  Booked the 1 King Bed room about a week ago and checked in using the Marriott Mobile app the day before showing an arrival time of 3PM.  As luck would have it we would not be leaving the house until almost 3PM so I went into the app, changed the arrival time to 3:30PM and started a chat function with the property advising them of the new time as well as to request a "nice Platinum upgrade".  HMMM never got a reply only that the were "hopping on chat today".  That should have given me an idea of what was about to happen.

Upon arriving at the valet stand we found five or so very pleasant friendly attendants, sure didn't seem busy.  Walked to the front desk and the Mobile Check-in line and we were the only ones there for the six associates to wait on.  They were very friendly and polite, offered us some water and told us we'd been upgraded to a 1 BR King Suite.  Great, off we go to our room which was directly across the the elevator (a no no) and found a very small room with a King bed.  Being the business woman my Wife is she instantly called the front desk and was told, oh they were only kidding about the upgrade. REALLY, only kidding!!!   Since I'd already unpacked and opened a bottle of wine we brought from home I said "it's only a night and we won't be in the room much anyway" we sat down and enjoyed our wine before changing and getting ready to head out for some Happy Hour dining. 

When we walked back past the front desk we voiced out displeasure with our room and the comment about only kidding regarding the upgrade.  The manager said you are in room such and such to which I told him no we are not, we are in this room and they could clearly see what room my Wife called from.  The manager was told again what room we were in and four different times he gave us a different room  number one off from what I told him.  Very annoying for him to not remember that many times.  Well to make a longer story short, they told us we were to have been in the suite not what we got and figured out they needed to apologize.  Having recalled a thread on Insiders from earlier in the day about Platinum Arrival Gifts (PAG) I also let them know we were not offered the option of points or something from the pantry.  Ahhhh, but we apparently were......remember the water they gave us!  That's pretty crappy if you ask me so I told them it was unacceptable and give me the points or $50 you get from a Courtyard.  I again told the manager the room we were in and again he fouled it up.  Seriously, and I told him yet again the room number and asked them to make sure not to check anyone else into the room since they had no idea what room we were assigned.

We went off the a wonderful dinner at Grotto Ristorante - Downtown Houston, Texas which is so much different than ours here in The Woodlands nationwide and for all I know you've been there when you stayed at the Marquis.  Excellent menu and service, but I digress.  After returning to the hotel after that game and a few cocktails near the ballpark we found a hand written note from the man who checked us in apologizing for the confusion and offering us a free breakfast as well as 1,000 bonus points.  Well didn't really want breakfast from the Bistro, but glad to have the points. 

When checking out this morning at the front desk and having the bill that was slid under the door (yes they still did that) in my hand I told them no 400 points for the PAG did we receive or the guaranteed $50 either.  The dude had no clue about this benefits and when I told him again his reply was "I'm not going to argue with you".  What the CY.....no argument at all just stating the facts is what I was doing.  So we asked for the GM which of course could not be found.  We grabbed all the business cards we could find and told them we'd be calling which much to my surprise I did not have to do as the manager had already called the house when we got home.  Since the business woman was wanting to voice her displeasure with the entire events she is calling him later today.  I did find though the bonus points of 1,400 are already in my account so thank you very much.

All in all a very clean joint, comfy bed and large bathroom.  They do not indicate on the hotel site that they have mini-refrigerators in the room which the do as well as mentioning separate bathtub and shower which they do not or at least in the room we occupied.  The $30 valet charge in Houston is about average, but next time downtown we are staying at the Downtown Houston Hotels | JW Marriott Houston Downtown  (TIPPLE Spot we all loved so), Hotels in Houston | Autograph Collection | Hotel ICON Houston  (great spot) or the Hotels in Houston, Texas | Marriott Marquis Houston Downtown .

Outcomes