jw99

Does Marriott Have a Branding Problem?

Discussion created by jw99 on Jun 3, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2017 by verysuiteboy

As I sit in the latest Fair-Hill-Place Residence Suites, enjoying a reasonably priced room, it occurred to me that this room/hotel is essentially no different than the Spring-Field-Place Suites from last night. What is driving my selection? I suspect the most common behaviors are location, price and points. It is for me. So why all these brands? There is little to no differentiation between them, which is a critical component of successful branding. Short of Ritz Carlton, Edition, JW, Renaissance, Autograph, AC and Marriott, they're all the same. Even Marriott is taking the consumer experience down a notch with its new room service strategy, which offered pre-cooked food served in cardboard boxes with plastic utensils the last time I tried it. It will get worse when the SPG brands are added, although they have some more distinctive brands. Maybe I'm just worn down from the drudgery of business travel where budgets make a difference (and why I am staying at this Town-Hill-Residence Suites hotel). I know my vacations with points are always the high-end brands, and it always results in a smile. I'm curious what other Insiders think and if they have similar experiences?

Outcomes