Hello all Insiders! I missed crunching the numbers for 2016 (it takes me about 20 hours to prepare stats), so I thought I would crunch the numbers for 2017. See Preview 2017 hotel category changes – current categories are still available until March 7, 2017
One reason it takes sooooo long to evaluate the changes is that the list of hotel names with changes https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi do not align with the same hotel names that can be found when searching for reservations. For example, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Shreveport Airport is listed as going from a Cat-2 to a Cat-1 for 2017. But I challenge anyone here to find that hotel name while searching for reservations! Also, reservations may have "Courtyard by Marriot ---name---" and the category change list may have "Courtyard ---name---" (or visa versa) which makes the two names different within an Excel spreadsheet. As such, every year I have about 300 hotel names to clean and scrub to get ready prior to any analysis.
Because of the constant scrubbing, my final numbers do not perfectly match the total numbers of changes in categories - I prefer to error on the conservative side, i.e., report fewer category changes rather inflate the numbers with more category changes. Regardless, my totals are within a reasonable amount and are close to what my previous category change postings had for numbers and percentages. For example, after cleanup and scrubbing, I have 1065 changes for 2017; the announced list had 1071, so somehow I "lost" 6 hotel names from prior years' analysis with 1 being the Fairfield Inn & Suites Shreveport Airport as noted, above. OK - time for the statistics - - - - - -
Since 2010, I have tracked 4892 hotel names of which 47 have now closed or been sold and 143 are opening in 2017 and can be found via reservations. From this list of open venues (4845 since 2010) ----->
- 34.84% remain the same category as they were in 2010 (1688) from $113.49/per night average
- 9.01% have reduced by 1 category (423) from $97.35 per night average
- 1.19% have reduced by 2 categories (56) from $93.50 per night average
- 0.11% have reduced by 3 categories (5) from $84.68 per night average
- 29.27% have gone up by 1 category (1374) from $123.42 per night average
- 20.02% have gone up by 2 categories (940) from $138.57 per night average
- 6.69% have gone up by 3 categories (314) from $140.11 per night average
- 0.70% have gone up by 4 categories (33) from $120.07 per night average
- 0.13% have gone up by 5 categories (6) from $151.67 per night average
- 0.02% have gone up by 6 categories (1) from $362.70 per night average
PS - I have other statistics to which I can report if anyone has any specific questions.