AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need Help with food poisoning at Springhill Suites in Peoria, AZ

Question asked by concernswithmarriott on Mar 18, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2017 by carat

The following was originally sent to Marriott Customer Care, Arne Sorensen and Nell Williams on November 20th, 2016. We have since received a check to cover my husbands emergency room co-pay and had the cost of our one night stay at the offending Springhill Suites facility refunded, however, as you can see, our costs were considerably greater than just those items.

Please help me resolve our issue with the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria (7810 West Bell Road). My husband got food poisoning by eating bacon at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria property on Thursday, November 10 at around 8:00-8:30 a.m.

On October 24, 2016 I booked a reservation at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria property for Wednesday, November 9 through Saturday, November 12, 2016. As it got closer to our trip, we decided that we needed to stay one additional day to accomplish my goals. I tried to add Tuesday, November 8 to my reservation but found the hotel was sold out. I then found the Springhill Suites by Marriott in North Pheonix and I booked one night there.

The sole purpose of our trip was to empty out my mother’s home in Mesa, AZ and move her to an assisted living community in Peoria, AZ. We selected the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria due to the fact that it is located very close to my mother’s assisted living community, a Marriott property and a reasonably priced hotel. I did not book at a resort property, as I normally do, due to the nature of my trip. I just wanted a clean comfortable room since I knew we would not be spending much time at the hotel but would be really tired when we arrived. The included breakfast was also a plus so we could eat and run. We don’t have as much energy as we once did since my husband is 70 and I am 56 with multiple sclerosis and scleroderma (autoimmune diseases).

We drove 14 hours from Sacramento, CA to Peoria, AZ on Tuesday, November 8 and were greeted by a welcome bag (due to our gold status) and a friendly face at the Springhill Suites by Marriott in North Pheonix. Needless to say were were exhausted. The next morning we ate the free breakfast at the hotel and checked out. We worked all day at my mother’s place in Mesa, AZ and arrived to check in at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria late in the day (I think it was around 8:00 p.m. or so). Anyway, we were very tired due to all the work we did that day. When we entered the room we noticed a strong pungent smell that seemed to smell like someone had cooked something strong-smelling and it had permeated the fabric in the room. It did not smell good to us but we were really tired and decided that the smell would probably go away over time…so we went to bed. The bed was uncomfortable (it seemed to need to be replaced. It was not up to the Marriott or Sheraton bed standards that we have grown accustomed to.) Again, we were too tired to change rooms. Then several times throughout the night, someone in the room above could be heard using their bathroom and flushing the toilet. The sound was unusually loud…like in old hotel with no soundproofing added. The sounds from the bathroom above, the uncomfortable bed and the pungent smell of the room keep me from sleeping much of the night.

Then when we took showers in the morning, I hit my limit. The bottom of the tub is not flat. Instead it seems to dip in the center so when you stand in the center of the tub the water covers your feet as it would do in a tub that does not drain properly. That is normally not terrible but there was a mat stuck to the tub floor and little black specks were coming off the mat and getting in the standing water. I had to shower by trying to straddle the gully in the center bottom of the tub, causing my left foot/leg to rub against the disgusting shower curtain. That was the last straw! We decided to call the manager and let the manger know how unhappy we were and that we wanted to check out of the hotel that morning. We were amazed at the negative attitude Mina, the General Manager, had upon hearing our complaints. When I mentioned the smell, she immediately insisted that she did not smell anything and then she proceeded to make an excuse about the high power flushing toilets causing the sound from the room above. (If you have that problem, isn’t more soundproofing necessary?) When I mentioned the shower, she turned on the water and said it was draining fine…even though that is not the problem I had communicated with her. Finally she looked at me and said that at this time she would not offer any compensation. It really wasn’t just about a refund, it was about customer service.

As we checked out of the Springhill Suites by Marriott Phoenix Glendale/Peoria, (with no idea what we would do for a hotel now) we grabbed some scrambled eggs, plain toast and my husband also took some bacon. I almost asked for a slice but it did not look good since it was very limp and not at all crispy. He ate four or five slices of the bacon at around 8:00 -8:30 a.m. Then we asked the hotel to see if the Springhill Suites by Marriott in North Pheonix had any rooms available, even though it was much farther from my mother’s assisted living community in Peoria. We just could not stay at that property another night. We left the hotel, picked up my mother in Peoria and headed to Mesa, AZ to empty the contents of my mother’s home into a 20 yard bin that we had delivered from the City of Mesa. We had nothing additional to eat and only drank Arrowhead bottled water after that.  At around 12:30 or 1:00 p.m., my husband, told me that he did not feel good and said he needed to rest. Even though it was hot, I had him sit in our Honda CRV, with the windows down. Even through it was nearly 80 degrees outside, he started to get the chills and by 2:00 p.m. or so, he was vomiting excessively. I made him drink water but he kept vomiting. My older sister and I were forced to work all day without his assistance. We really planned on Paul’s help and it made everything take much longer and much harder for us!

By the time Paul and I checked in to the Springhill Suites by Marriott in North Pheonix, he was still vomiting and having “the shakes”. The staff had to give us plastic bags so he would not have any accidents getting to the room or once in bed. They were very kind at this hotel. I bought several bottles of Gatorade and my husband had several bottle of Gatorade delivered to our room to try to hydrate him and help him recover. He just didn’t seem to get better even with chicken broth, water and Gatorade. On Friday, November 11 at 9:26 p.m., I brought my husband to HonorHealth emergency room since he was still very sick and could not eat food without vomiting. He was treated for the food poisoning and released after being hydrated through an IV and several medications. He was released at 1:00 a.m. on November 12.

I was forced to leave my husband for a total of three days, while I drove to Peoria to pick up my mother and then drive to Mesa to work. Each evening I had to drop her off in Peoria and then extra distance to get to the hotel. It was horrible.

Here are some the things that need to be considered when deciding how you can assist:

• We had to stay three extra nights due to Paul’s food poisoning and my inability to get the work done quickly without his help.
  • We incurred emergency room expenses.
  • We were charged by the hotel for every bottle of Gatorade that was needed to hydrate Paul.
  • We had to pay our dog sitter extra to stay longer to watch our two dogs.
  • We were unable to shop around for the best hotel deals due to Paul’s vomiting and the urgency to find a different hotel.
  • Extra dining expenses that were unplanned due to the extended duration of the trip.
  • Additional gas expenses.
  • Extra stress placed on my sister to lift heavy items that my husband would have moved, etc.
  • The despicable treatment from Mina Bermudez (who should be fired! Unless Marriott agrees with that type of treatment of Gold member guests.)
  • Nothing like this has ever happened to us, even though I have been a Starwood customer for nearly 20 years. Mina Bermudez treated us like we are lying.

We eagerly await your suggested resolution for this terrible ordeal.

Outcomes