nickerbockercrane

Package Vacations by Marriott Scam??

Discussion created by nickerbockercrane on Mar 15, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 by chcummings

It was never my intention to book with a 3rd party affiliate. It took me by surprise when I found out that I was not booking my reservation through Marriott on the Marriott.com website. Its like false advertising when the name Expedia is mentioned nowhere on the Marriott site. In my mind it does not seem appropriate for Expedia to sell their vacations on Marriott’s website. Not impressive but rather like a scam for Marriott members all around. Why do you not advertise Expedia on the Marriott website? Honestly why would any Gold Elite member or any rewards member book anywhere else or with anyone other than Marriott.

Avoid booking a vacation package from Marriott. I trusted that Marriott had integrity and ethics. I booked a package vacation that includes the airfare and was extremely disappointed. These packaged vacations by Marriott are not run by Marriott at all but rather a 3rd party affiliate (Expedia) who branded their site with Marriott. In my mind this is false advertising and greatest deception of my life. You do NOT earn any elite nights or points for your stays. 

I am upset with Marriott.com for not mentioning to me or implicating that the package vacations by Marriott are a separate entity from Marriott.com. In my mind Gold Elite members have a right to know who they are booking their vacations with and Customer service representatives should be available and familiar to assist with reservation issues made under their brand and on the Marriott.com website. Expedia is not mentioned anywhere on the Marriott.com website where I booked my trip.

I recently booked my trip to New Orleans on Marriott.com and as a Marriott Gold Elite member naturally assumed that I could trust them as I have for the past 9 years. I confirmed the booking of my trip to New Orleans at $2,340.00 US total cost. However an  email confirmation came to me a day later under the Marriott brand directly confirming the total cost of my trip to be $3,140.00. I initially though the cost was converted to Canadian $$ but that was not the case. I was unable to reach anyone at Marriott.com including the Gold Elite Rewards staff for assistance to resolve the $800.00 price discrepancy. I was also unable to reach Customer Service at the Vacations by Marriott (Expedia) for resolution of the price discrepancy. I spent over 7 hours to inquire about the cost inaccuracy of my booking and why my booking of the hotel was not showing up on my rewards account as a future stay. The response I received was "Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information. We show that you have booked your reservation through Vacations by Marriott. In order to correct the error in the cost of your vacation and to add your Rewards number to your reservation you must contact Vacations by Marriott directly. You can contact Vacations by Marriott at 1-877-483-7275.” Customer service at this number is non existent. They don’t speak english, are unable to assist due to policy. I spoke with a Natasha who advised she was on a boat and also under no supervision. They put you on hold for hours or hang up on you and do not explain the policy and unable to assist.That’s what Marriott.com did!!! No loyalty whatsoever.

My intention for earning reward points for eventual free stays at you Marriott hotels were also squashed after being notified that I would not earn any points for this 5 day vacation to New Orleans. I only book through Marriott.com because of my affiliation with Marriott as a Gold Elite member.

I’ve been ripped off by these package vacations by Marriott. I no longer trust Marriott.com  to do what they promise on the website, or even to do the right thing, which is not use misleading advertising to sell you a vacation. 

Outcomes